Secrets & Kisses

Setting: Caraval (chapter 28)
Inspiration: "
Julian's POV of the first kiss in Caraval." - a request by @1AceClovers0

     "You lie to yourself. You pull me to you whenever it seems you're afraid of losing me, but whenever I get too close, you push me away."

     Julian grew frustrated, not only with how his feelings for Scarlett were unfolding, but with himself. Of course he had to push her away; how hurt would she be when Caraval ended, and she realized he was part of the game? 

     "I've only pushed you away once." Julian's voice hardened as he took a step closer. There was an attraction he felt towards Scarlett that he had never felt before. Sure, he had minor romances with many women throughout his years, but he had never felt anything like this towards someone. "I was definitely jealous, but that's not the only reason I wanted you out of there."

     "Then tell me what your other reasons were," Scarlett said.

     To get you away from Armando. To get you closer to your sister. To keep you from falling too head first into the game and not being able to resurface.

     Instead of telling her what he desperately wanted to say, he did what he had more practice in: making her heart beat so fast that she would forget even asking him anything at all.

     Maybe he was also doing this because he wanted her as badly as she wanted him, but he tried to push that thought away. If he continued, he would be removed from this year's Caraval and not only wouldn't be there to help Scarlett, but she would have to watch him die. He decided he would deal with that later.

     Julian edged forward, until there was almost no space between them. Slowly, he wrapped an arm around her waist, waiting for her to pull away. Part of Julian wanted her to, but an even larger part wanted her to stay. And that's what she did. Stayed.

     He could hear her breathing quicken as his other arm encased her, tightening around her upper back, pulling her closer to the hard planes of his chest until their lips were feeling the same cold air.

     The thought of her kissing someone else in her past crossed his mind, and even if it was true, it was still obvious she was inexperienced. But Julian didn't care. If everything went as they had in his wildest dreams, she would be very experienced in no time.

     "Is this close enough for you?" Julian's mouth hovered over hers. A whisper shy of kissing her. It took everything in him not to crash his lips onto hers and devour every sweet thing about her. "You're sure you want this?"

     He needed to make sure that Scarlett was one-hundred percent into this, or when Caraval ended, they would not have as good a chance at making it out together. Julian would find a way to apologize and win her heart once again when she learned the truth. But for now, she had to stay in the dark a little while longer.

     Scarlett nodded, letting him know that she felt the same way about him that he did about her.

     Whatever part of his more rational side that was left groaned, nervous that they wouldn't last. This was the first relationship that he wanted to last. But the scoundrel side of him was thriving through her acknowledgement and flustering. 

     His hand slid down to the small of her back, gentle and firm, slowly pulling her closer once more, while his other hand slipped under her hair and around her neck, rubbing the tender skin there, before it forged a new path.

     He could not resist from touching her and indulging in Scarlett. So utterly beautiful and irresistible, and heart fragile and breakable. 

     "I don't want you to regret any of your choices." Julian's tone was pained as he never wanted to see her hurt. His fingers were now at her mouth, tracing the line of her bottom lip. They were soft and full and too innocent for his sinful mouth. "There are still things you don't know about me, Crimson."

     "Then tell me what they are," Scarlett said.

     He wished he could, and he thought of trying to, but he knew Legend's magic would prevent him from spilling his secrets. And the game would most likely be ruined and her chances at salvation would go down the drain, so he refrained.

     Julian's fingers were still at her mouth. Slowly, she kissed them, one by one. Just a gentle brush of her lips and it affected him deeply, lust taking over as his other hand gently dug into her lower back. 

     Her voice was the slightest bit breathless, and it only pushed him forward more, "I'm not afraid of your secrets."

     "I wish I could say you shouldn't be." It was the closest to the truth he could give to her.

     Julian stroked her lip a final time, then covered her mouth with his own. She tasted like roses in the morning dew; delicate, beautiful and gentle. His hands moved intensely as one drifted down her spine and the other tightened around her waist. She clung to him, and he held her as if she might slip through his grasp, loving the feel of her curves.

      "I never want this to stop," he mumbled against her lips as he coaxed them apart, sliding his tongue inside with his teeth grazing her lower lip.

     Every touch, every brush of their lips made Julian realize that he would never find someone as pure or as magnificent as Scarlett. If he lost her after Caraval, well, at least he had her now.

A/N
Idk why but this one shot just came so natural to me? I don't know if anyone else has those moments in writing where it takes you so long to come up with an idea and let it flow, but there are other moments when the words just start pouring out. Moving on, thanks for the request, and thank you all for 3k reads! ITS CRAZY OML (I still can't believe we're at 3k like I cannot comprehend it, I love you all so much).