my golden parting

reqs by Aloisiea     The third and final part to "my golden princess"
Listen to 'soon you'll get better' by taylor swift and 'lights are on' by tom rosenthall if you'd like to get the full angst experience !!
sorry in advance.

Benjamin didn't want to play with his toys.

     He sat on the rug in his room, looking up at the maid perched on his bed. She read a book as she waited for the prince to ask for something, but she was mostly there to keep him out of trouble.

     He poked his wooden boat, pushing it along the rug as if it was sailing, but the appeal didn't feel the same. Nothing felt quite the same anymore.

     As of late, he'd play in his father's office while Julian did his work, occasionally taking breaks to play tag, hide and go seek, or race to the kitchen to grab a snack. But his father was in a meeting today, so Benjamin had to stay in his room.

      Before his sister came along, his mother was almost always present in his life. She would always make up games for them to play, take him downtown to pick out chocolates, play with the butterflies in the gardens. Scarlett always made sure Benjamin had her full attention, that he would know she would always be there for him. And every night, both of his parents would tuck him into bed, and his mother would tell him a nighttime story.

     Her eyes were always warm when Benjamin looked at her. So caring and soft. His mother always had a sweet smile to offer. Even when she was working she'd let Benjamin follow her, and hide in her skirts when he saw someone unfamiliar. Benjamin often heard the words momma's boy tossed around.

     But he hadn't seen his mother much anymore. They never played, and he never followed her around because she was in the same spot. Sick, his father had said. Something to do with Rosie being born. But every night Julian would take his son to the white wing where his mother rested to hear a story.

     He felt an overwhelming urge to simply be in his mother's arms.

     Benjamin looked up at the maid. "I want my mommy."

     She looked up from her book, mouth pinching into a frown. "I'm sorry, Highness. She's... sick at the moment."

     Benjamin had an idea. He was sure he remembered the way to the white wing. Down the stairs. One left. From the foyer, past the fancy arch down the grey staircase. One right. White wing.

     "Can I have a snack, please? Bawees and ganola?" Benjamin still hadn't quite gotten down his rs yet.

     "Of course, Benjamin. I'll get another maid-"

      "No, I like it the way you make."

     Not wanting to displease the prince, she got up and paused near the door. "Okay, but stay here until I get back. Deal?"

     Benjamin crossed his fingers behind his back and nodded.

     The maid disappeared.

     He counted to ten. Then he ran. Down the hallway. Down the stairs. His little legs carried him what he thought was the fastest in the whole world. Different guards regarded him strangely, but he paid them no mind. A left now, Benjamin recognized the rose vase.

    As he turned the corner, his arm accidentally knocked over the table, vase smashing to the floor. Benjamin swallowed guilt and continued his run. All the way to the foyer, he found the fancy arch. He ran through before finding the grey staircase. Down, he skipped a few steps, falling on his bum. He winced at the slight pain as he bounced down the stairs, but it was sort of fun.