jumpy

I have so many requests to write rn but this is super short and sweet so enjoy!
Setting: Caraval

       It was dark on Isla de Los Suenos. Very dark as Scarlett and Julian explored, looking for the next clue. They were in an area now where it was pitch black, and Scarlett couldn't even see Julian beside her.

      Part of her should have been glad. She shouldn't be close to him, not as close as they had been getting lately. She was engaged, but not to him. And in the dark, no one would be able to spot them.

      But the dark still scared Scarlett, at least a little bit, and she was more than cautious as they prowled around the woods.

     "Sure you're not scared yet, Crimson?" Julian asked, teasing laced thickly through his accented voice.

     "Of course I'm not. It's just dark outside." Way more dark than the lantern lit centre of the island.

       "If you ever need to hold my hand, just reach out."

      Scarlett huffed in frustration. "I might reach out and slap you."

       Julian was just so infuriating. She imagined the scoundrel winking at the end of his sentence.

      There was a rustle in the bushes, a growl, and it was like Scarlett could feel something on her back-

      Scarlett yelped, jumping behind Julian as she held both of his shoulders, hiding behind him. Scarlett closed her eyes tight, feeling a little more safe behind the confident boy in front of her.

      "Crimson?" Julian dug through his pocket, swiping something against a tree, and when it lit on fire, Scarlett realized it was a match. He grinned wickedly at her as they watched a bunny hop away from the bush. As the fire illuminated his face, she noticed there was specks of gold in his amber eyes.

      Scarlett heaved in a breath, quickly letting go of Julian, stepping away from him as fast as possible.

      "Sorry." She wiped her hands on her dress nervously. "I'm just a bit jumpy. Wait... did you have that the entire time?"

      Julian tapped her nose with a lone finger. "You're so adorable when you blush."

      Scarlett's hands clenched into fists as he trotted in front of her, and she heard him blow out the match before it got dark again. So infuriating.