"WHEN CAN YOU START?"

Nine:

Nine:

"Please don't do this to me." I hit my head against the steering wheel of my car and screamed. "Work, you asshole!"

When the engine stopped making noises of protest and wouldn't make a sound at all, I fought against my tears of frustration and exhaustion and pulled out my phone. The closest mechanics that I could find on the internet was Teller Mechanics, and I pressed on the number.

"Teller Mechanics."

It wasn't the friendliest greeting, but I bit my tongue from commenting on it. "Hi, my name's Jasmine. I'm stuck on the highway about five miles after the sign. Wondering if I could get a tow?"

There was some loud shuffling on the other end of the line before the male voice called out the door at someone to grab lunch and I scowled at the leather wheel. "We'll get someone out there as soon as possible, it might be about half an hour, though."

I couldn't help the sass from coming out in full force. "Get them to pick me up a cheeseburger with your lunch, would you? Being abandoned for half an hour is going to make me hungry."

Half of me expected for the man to tell me I was a bitch and hang up, instead he laughed into the phone. "Sure, babydoll, I'll make sure we get you fed. Anything else?"

"Vanilla coke." I smirked. "Large."

"You got it, babydoll. See you in half an hour." The line went dead and I actually laughed.

For a shitty greeting and what most would consider to be shitty service, the last part of the conversation had been almost delightful.

It took exactly twenty-eight minutes until I saw the tow truck come into view, and I turned the radio off before I stepped out on the hot tar to meet the two men who swung out of the truck. One of them was younger with slightly red hair, a friendly smile on his face as he waved at me and started getting the chains ready.

The other caught my interest immediately. He didn't bother to help the young man, just made his way over to me and stopped a few feet in front. "Hullo, lass. I hear ya need some rescuing and some food?"

His eyes were kind and warm, amusement lighting them up with his comment about my eating habits. His hair was mostly grey with some black streaks flaked through, hanging on the longer side and slicked back behind his ears. He was ruggedly good looking, but it was the deep scars on his cheeks that drew me in and I filtered back through my time in Scotland to remember what they were called; Glasgow Smiles.

"Hello, Scottish." I waved my hand in greeting. "Thank you for coming to my rescue, I appreciate it. The radiator got changed a month or two ago, so I'm hoping that it's just a quick fix with the engine."

He smirked at me and raised an eyebrow. "Another mechanic tell you to stop driving it, luv?"

I bit my lip and ran my hand through my hair, tugging it over my shoulder. "I haven't been to a mechanic in years, honestly I probably should have. I've been fixing her up myself, but I can't do anything to her while I'm stranded out in the middle of nowhere."