DO YOU REMEMBER

Fourteen:

Fourteen:

I'd managed to avoid Happy for days, but Tuesday came crashing down and brought hell with it.

Jax had done his best to keep him away from me by making sure that the other members of the Sons came to let me know when one of the vehicles was finished, but there was only so much ground control that the President could do before the Enforcer let his temper flare.

I'd been in the office for six hours, two hours to go, when the door slammed and I looked away from the computer to stare up at him.

Just like he'd taught me, I kept my face blank. "What can I help you with, Happy?"

"You can fucking talk to me." He growled before he dropped into the couch and glared at me. "I get that you need your space, but we work in the same garage, Free Bird. You can't get away, isn't this a bit much?"

"I only work two days a week, I'm sure we can avoid each other for the sixteen hours I'm here." I bit the inside of my cheek until I tasted blood. "And don't call me Free Bird, you gave up that right a long time ago."

Happy hung his head in his hands and I watched as he took a deep breath. "I know that I did. I know that I gave up that right. But you can't just avoid me, little girl-"

"Fucking watch me." I snipped before I turned back to the computer screen.

The spreadsheet that I'd been focused on had turned into a jumble of letters and numbers that I couldn't decipher, but I pretended that I knew exactly what was going on and hoped that I didn't mess it up beyond repair.

"Do you remember the night that we snuck into the circus?"

My blood ran cold and I had to clench my jaw so I could force myself not to scream at him to get out of the office and leave me the fuck alone. Hell, I'd quit. It would make everybody's life easier.

The problem would be that I wouldn't have an excuse to see him anymore and, even though it literally made me feel like I was dying, I wanted to see him.

"Last day of seventeen." He carried on with a small smile like I'd answered him. "Five hours before I tattooed my Crow on you."

"What is this, blast from the fucking past day?" I snarked.

Happy looked over at me, I could feel his gaze on the side of my face, and I fought to keep my eyes on the screen so that I didn't look back at him or burst into tears. "Free Bird-"

"Just get out." I ground out of my teeth and glared at the computer in front of me. "Just get the fuck out and leave me alone so that I can get this done."

He got to his feet and walked over to the door, but stopped before he opened it. "I'm going to leave because I understand that this is all a shock to you and your brain is working overtime. But, to be clear, I'm not staying gone. You and I? We're going to sit down and have a conversation."

"Good fucking luck with that." I snapped.

The door opened and shut behind him, and I slammed my head down on the desk while I tried to control my breathing. Happy had, yet again, gotten underneath my skin and brought out the worst in me.

When the door reopened I groaned. "Hap, just leave me alone."

"It's not Hap." Jax's voice washed over room and I tilted my head to look up at him. "You okay, darlin'?"

"No." I sighed. "No, I'm not."

"If it's any consolation, neither is he."

It wasn't.

It wasn't any fucking consolation at all.