IT'S STILL THERE

Twenty:

Twenty:

Happy had slept on the couch for three days before I'd finally decided that it was ridiculous to have him squished onto something that his feet hung over the edge.

I listened to the hum of the television cutting through the quiet house and stared at my ceiling while I tried to convince myself to just go to sleep and ignore it, but I couldn't.

My feet hit the cold floorboards and I wrapped my robe around my body before I opened the door as quietly as I could and tiptoed down the hall.

He was sitting on the edge of the couch, beer in his hand while he watched a documentary about penguins and I leant against the doorframe so that I could just watch him. It was such an odd sight, watching him watch a television with David Attenborough's voice coming through the speakers, just loud enough so that he could hear it without waking Harry.

He almost looked normal. Almost looked like he didn't kill people for a living or was part of a group of men that had once been outlaws, but were doing their best to turn their lives around and get on the right side of the law.

I hadn't been burdened with all of the information, but he'd shared enough for me to know that their old President hadn't been the best man and that Jax had worked his ass off, despite all of the pain and heartbreak he'd suffered by losing almost everybody important to him, to get the club back to what his father had wanted it to be when it had been started.

"What's wrong, Free Bird?" Happy hadn't even bothered to look away from me, so in tune with his surroundings that he knew I'd appeared without me making my presence known.

"Come to bed."

That was something he'd obviously not expected because he sucked in a harsh breath before he got to his feet and looked at me from across the room. "You sure?"

I wasn't sure of anything in my life anymore, not since the moment that he'd stepped foot back into it. All I knew was that I didn't want to sleep if he wasn't beside me, and that was enough for me to nod.

Happy flicked the television off and I turned on my heel to leave him to find his own way to my room, but I noted how silent his footsteps were in the already silent house. No wonder the man killed people for a living, nobody would even see him coming.

There was enough moonlight flickering through the window that I saw the hesitancy in his face when he stepped into my bedroom and shut the door behind him. He stood awkwardly with his back pressed next to it and just watched me as I slipped the robe from my shoulders and pulled the covers down to lay against the cool sheets.

It took a few minutes for him to be able to move, but he dropped the sweats that he'd been wearing so that he was bare accept for the boxer briefs hiding my prying eyes, and he pulled down the covers on the side of the bed that I'd never been able to sleep on because it had always been his.