WHAT, THIRTY-THREE?

Thirteen:

Thirteen:

I woke up to the feeling of wet kisses on my cheek and opened my eyes to smiling brown eyes looking down at me, excitement at their core.

He was already dressed in a pair of denim shorts and a plain white t-shirt, and I felt my heart swell with the overwhelming love that threatened to crush down on me. "Hey, baby."

"Hi."

I kissed his cheek loudly. "Give me a second to get dressed and I'll be right out."

He didn't reply but gripped my cheek tightly and then walked out of the room without another word, leaving me alone to watch him go.

I didn't believe that I could ever love again after Happy, but there he was, everything to me in a bundle of happiness and understanding, of kind looks and the best heart. Even on the days that I got it wrong, he still somehow pulled through to make me realise that everything was going to be okay.

It was the second time I'd been in love in my life, the first being with Happy. But I didn't have to be scared with him, he made me safe and secure, he made me better from the first time he'd looked at me.

After I'd dressed and found him at the coffee table in our loungeroom, the television already on and playing the news, I rolled my eyes and sat next to him. "You shouldn't be watching this, it's depressing. There's no good stories, it's all no good."

He didn't reply, just regarded me with eyes that knew too much and nodded his head slowly. Instead of changing the channel, he settled back into the couch and watched as the reporter told a story about the Sons of Anarchy looking at opening a new tattoo parlour in town and whether it would bring 'more unlawful activity' to their town, which caught my eye but I tried to pretend that I didn't care:

Sure, he'd questioned where I was going on my two days a week and he knew where I was working since I'd never tried to hide it and I never would, but it didn't need to be said outright that I was floundering in a mixture of feelings that I didn't want to have and I wasn't ready to speak about Happy.

My phone ringing broke me out of my intense gaze on the screen, and I smiled when I saw the name on the screen. "How's the White House, Mr. President?"

Jax laughed through the line. "Boring as ever, darlin'. I was just letting you know that one of the guys is dropping off the loaner, since you left it at the lot last night."

I flicked my eyes over every detail of the beautiful soul sitting on the couch across from me, completely oblivious to the emotional turmoil that I was going through and bit my lip. "Can it be the prospect?"

The line was silent for a moment and I heard a door close, cluing me into Jax finding privacy before he asked. "Can it be the prospect, or can it not be Happy?"

When I didn't reply, he carried on. "Saw the commotion last night, darlin'. Not going to pretend that I know what's going on, but you don't need to worry. Two weeks and you've wormed your way into this family, you're not going anywhere."