Part 2

When they got to town they booked a hotel room and quickly changed into their FBI suits complete with badges.

"Am I FBI, too?" Cas asked.

"No, you're the little angel on our shoulder, Cas," Dean said sarcastically.

Cas just looked away, dejected, hands in the pockets of his trench coat.

"I think you hurt his feelings," Sam said, looking at Dean, and then gestured with his head towards Cas in a way that said, Quit being a dick and apologize.

Dean grumbled but he knew Sam was right. He didn't know why he'd been so grumpy lately. "Look Cas, I'm sorry, okay?" he said. "I know I've been . . . off, lately. Just forget it, okay?"

Cas looked into Dean's green eyes. "Of course, Dean," he nodded.

Dean slapped Cas's shoulder. "Okay, no more chick flick moments," he said. "Cas, you are coming, but for the love of God, please hold your badge right side up this time, okay?"

"Dean," Cas said, defensively.  "It's been years since I've made that mistake.  Are you ever going to let that go?"

"Probably not," Dean said with a smirk.

As they were about to walk out the door Dean turned back to Cas and added, "Oh, and if there ends up being any bodies, no sniffing them."

Humans, Cas thought to himself and rolled his eyes as he followed the boys to the car.

*************

"We're here about the missing children," Sam said to the sheriff, pulling out his badge.

Dean and Cas did the same and Cas double checked to make sure his was right side up, just in case. He sighed in relief when it was.

Dean hid a smile. He couldn't help but find Castiel's awkwardness and sometimes pure ignorance adorable, and even charming sometimes. But then he realized he'd been staring at the angel and looked away. What the hell was that? He thought to himself. Adorable? Charming? Those are not words he'd ever associated with Castiel before. He shook his head as if to snap himself out of it and tuned back into the conversation just as Sam was shaking hands with the sheriff and thanking him.

"So, what's the story?" he asked as they piled back into the Impala.

"Seriously?" Sam said. "You were standing right there the whole time and you're asking me what the story is?"

"I got . . . distracted," Dean said squirming in his seat. He still couldn't believe what had gone on in his head back there and it was making him very uncomfortable.

"By what? It was a police station."

"I don't know," Dean barked. "Just, tell me what's next, ok?"

"Ok," Sam said, holding his hands up defensively. "So, our first step is to talk to the parents of the victims. I got their addresses from the station. We can split up to make that faster. One thing we do know is that all 5 kids attended the same elementary school, so that's another place to follow up."

"Ok, Cas and I will take the school, you go talk to the parents," Dean said, leaving no room for argument.

"Sure," Sam said, glancing from Dean to Cas. Cas just shrugged but he didn't protest.

*********

"So, what can you tell us about the students who went missing?" Dean asked the principle, a middle aged dark skinned woman with short curly hair. "Any problems at home? Any enemies? Trouble at school?"