Part 15

Dean awoke to Sam pushing his arm. "Hey, c'mon, you got your four hours, let's get going," he said. Dean lifted his head slightly, and then remembered that he'd fallen asleep with Castiel in his arms. He moved away from the angel when he realized Sam was looking at them, causing Castiel to curl up and pull the blankets up around him more, but he didn't wake. Dean looked from Sam to Cas, and then back again. "We, uh, . . . we were just," he said, motioning from himself to Cas.

"Uh hu," Sam said, "We're leaving in ten. Rowena's already here. Let's go."

Dean rolled out of bed and followed Sam into the hallway. "Sammy, listen," he said, catching up to his brother. "I don't think I can leave Cas right now."

Sam looked at him. "Why not?" he said.

"Because he needs me," Dean said. He looked back towards Castiel's room, speaking softly since he'd forgotten to close the door. "Last night . . ."

"Woah, woah, woah," Sam cut him off, holding his hands in the air. "I don't need to know."

Dean scowled at him. "Not that, Sam," he said, slapping his brother in the back of the head. "He had a nightmare, okay? Or something. Look, I don't know what it was but it scared the hell out of both of us. He was like, stuck in it, and he was being tortured by Uriah again. I couldn't wake him up."

"Oh," Sam said, concern in his voice. "Wow, that does sound intense." He paused for a minute, crossing his arms, and then with genuine curiosity said, "So, how did you wake him up?"

Oh, crap, Dean thought, I walked into that one. His heart was racing and he looked down, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. "I, uh . . . I kissed him," he said quietly, looking at the floor.

"You what?" Sam said, teasing his brother, pretending like he hadn't heard. "You what him?" He loved seeing Dean so flustered, especially over Cas. He put his hand to his ear, leaning in closer, which was a big mistake.

"I kissed him, Sam, okay?!" Dean practically shouted at his brother, and then looked around, realizing that both Rowena and Gabriel were in the bunker and hoping that neither of them had heard it. "Shit," he whispered. He put his hand to his forehead. "Damn it, Sam," he said, glaring at his brother.

Sam chuckled. "Dean, it's okay," he said. "In fact it's about time." He slapped his brother on the shoulder. "I'm happy for you," he said.

Dean looked into Sam's smiling face and relaxed a little. "Thanks, Sammy," he said, although still a little flustered. "It's just, I wasn't expecting to announce it just yet. I mean, we only started . . . moving forward, so to speak, last night."

"Look, Dean, I think I can safely speak for everyone here when I say that we're just glad Cas is doing better, and that you two are, you two," Sam said.

There was a pause and Dean looked in the direction of Castiel's room again.

"Listen," Sam said, noticing the worried, earnest look on his brother's face. "You should stay here with Cas. Rowena, Gabriel, and I can handle Lucifer."

"Really?" Dean said, looking back at his brother. "You're sure?"

"Yeah," Sam said. "But," he held up a finger, "we will need you when it's time to open the rift, okay?"

Dean sighed in relief. "Thanks, Sammy," he said. He gave his brother a hug. "Be careful," he said seriously, pointing at him, then went back to Castiel's room and shut the door behind him.

**********

Cas was surprised to see that Dean's arm was still around him when he awoke. He felt the hunter's warm breath on his neck.