Chapter 16

GRUFF

I put my hand on my little brother’s shoulder to keep him from doing anything stupid. It shouldn't be a surprise that Landry is here. Not only is she best friends with Bellamy and Hattie, but her mom is married to Bellamy’s dad, making them step-sisters. “You okay, Jasper?” He responds with one quick nod and then walks over to the opposite side of the room. I watch him as he leans against the wall, making sure that he can still keep an eye on Landry and that she knows he’s watching.

“Hey Gruff, you want to hold your niece?” Hattie scoots over on the couch as a non-verbal invite. I walk over and take a seat, she carefully moves the tiny bundle from her arms to mine.

Elsie Shay Wilkins was the most precious cargo I have ever held in my arms before. At just over eight pounds, she was supposedly “big” for a traditional newborn, but she was so fucking tiny in my arms. “Damn, she’s really cute, Maverick.”

“Ain’t she? I still can’t believe I have a daughter.”

“I guess it is a good thing that Bellamy’s genes were stronger than yours. We wouldn’t want to ruin this perfection with anything that looks like you.’

“Are you forgetting that we share the same genes?”

“I haven’t forgotten, but I clearly have been given superior genes which is why I look like this and you look like a sloth dunked in water.”

“Will you two shut up and just enjoy the baby?” Bellamy chastises us from the hospital bed.

“Sorry, beautiful.” Maverick gives his fiance a kiss. Normally I’d make some crude comment about him being whipped or a total pussy nowadays, but I catch a glance at Camila sitting on the chair and realize that maybe he doesn’t have it that bad afterall.

After spending some time at the hospital, we decided that it was time to give Bellamy and Maverick a bit of a break to spend with Elsie. My parents and her dad and step-mom would be here again this afternoon and if I know Maverick, he’s going to need a rest before dealing with Darren Buckley. His soon-to-be father-in-law might be one of the nicest men on the planet, but Maverick is still public enemy number one in his eyes.

“Hey,” Jasper caught up to Camila, the kids, and I while we were in the parking lot, “Hattie said she was going to go grab some lunch at Charlie’s, do you guys want to come with?”

“Are you going?”

He shrugs, “Yeah, I thought I would. Tate is going to meet over there.”

“And Landry?”

“We’re good. I told her that I wouldn’t make it weird.”

“Uh-huh, which means her boyfriend won’t be there?”

“Fuck, dude can you stop? Are you going to join us or what?”

I look at Camila to see what she wants to do, “I don’t know, if you want to and think it would be safe.”

Fuck, I hate this. I had almost forgotten throughout today’s activities and celebrations that we’re dealing with some real shit with Camila’s douchey husband. I just want to be able to take her out or go somewhere with the kids without worrying that we might be seen or followed. I know Radcliffe said that Miguel had left the state, maybe that has been feeling a bit safer than I’ve been since they’ve shown up.

“I think it should be fine. Charlie’s is a little hole in the wall place. It’s Mexican food,” I wiggle my eyebrows at her and make her laugh.