Chapter 22

GRUFF

Buzz Buzz…..Buzz Buzz

I couldn’t quite place the sound the was waking me up, but once I opened my eyes I saw the screen lighting up with Jet’s name on it. I don’t even remember turning my phone on silence last night, I don’t usually do anything with the sound, but I’m wondering if maybe I was just so dead ass tired by the time I got home last night that my brain subconsciously did it to allow me to actually sleep. I didn’t want to sleep though, I especially didn’t want to sleep through any news about Jasper or Camila. I quickly swiped my finger across the screen to answer to call.

“Jet, everything okay?” The way the last twenty-four hours had gone, I couldn’t even think that he was possibly calling about something good.

“Gruff, I’m glad I got you. Jasper is starting to wake up and the doctor said that they’re moving him to a different wing of the ICU where he could have visitors.”

“He’s awake and he’s going to be okay?” I repeat to make sure that I didn’t miss anything.

“I can’t say that he’s completely in the clear, but this is a good sign. I’m sure he’d want to see you, I know your mom would.”

“Would she though?” I laugh sarcastically, “I’m pretty much the one that put her baby in the hospital.”

“You didn’t do this, Gruff, and you know it. The people responsible are those goons that work for that Perez guy. That isn’t on you. Nobody blames you, but yourself.”

“How can I not blame myself? I may not have pulled the trigger, but I didn’t do my due diligence in protecting Camila. I should have been the one that was with her and maybe it would have been different.”

Jet sighs into the phone, “I get that telling you not to blame yourself is easier said than done, but your mom and siblings need you right now, Gruff. Jasper isn’t going to blame you and I know he’d want to see you. Please, please be there.”

“Okay.” I hang up the phone and toss it back on the bed, first making sure that I turn the volume up and check to make sure I didn’t miss any messages. There is still no information about Camila and Radcliffe has stopped replying to my texts, even the ones that tell me to leave him alone. I guess I just have to have faith that when he knows something he will let me know. Fuck, please know something soon.

I take a quick shower and make myself a pot of coffee. It feels way too quiet in this apartment without the other three. I can’t even stomach to make myself some toast or pour a bowl of cereal. All those little things remind me of what I am missing and it just makes the pain in my chest more extreme.

“Gruff!” Hattie rushes over to me once I walk past the nurses’ station in this wing. Landry is right behind her and the two of them crash into me. I wrap my arm around both of them and give them a quick kiss on the top of their heads.

“Is he up yet?”

Hattie looks up at me with a small smile, “He was super groggy and didn’t know what was going on, so just Mom and Dad went in there. The doctor is updating them.”

“Good, good. And Tate, Mav, and Bellamy?” 

“Tate is on his way. Dad talked to Maverick to update him but told him to stay at home with Bellamy and Elsie. I think they’re still nervous about safety and the baby since we don’t know what is going on with….well, you know.”

“Miguel?” I practically growl out his name.

“Yeah, him.”

Jet steps out of the hospital room and approaches the three of us. He shakes my hand and then wraps his arm around Hattie as she moves to her dad. “So he’s awake. He’s a bit loopy and in a lot of pain, but the doctor said all his stats are looking good. He’s still going to need to stay here for observation, but all things considered, he’s really lucky.”