Chapter 4

Arriving at the Little Palace the door to the coach swings open to reveal The Darkling, he helps me down and looks at me for any sign of injury "I heard you were attacked, what happened?" he asks his voice deep with worry

Arriving at the Little Palace the door to the coach swings open to reveal The Darkling, he helps me down and looks at me for any sign of injury "I heard you were attacked, what happened?" he asks his voice deep with worry. Darla and Karlan come down and she says "nothing she couldn't handle" he looks at me for an explanation but before I can say anything Karlan adds "took down six Fjerdan soldiers. by accident" Kirigan turns to me and raises an eyebrow, I blush deeply and say "it was an accident" we make for the entrance of the palace and he says "accident or not, that is an incredible amount of power" we stop in the hall and he looks down at me. "I can take you to see Alina if you like" he says softly and I nod my head early, he smiles and leads me down the hall.

Each room we pass through has an amazing amount of decor that probably costs more than the orphanage that we grew up in, "it is a bit over the top I know" Kirigan says and I look up at him "its lovely" I say and he snorts "don't start lying to me now" I smile and look around "ok it is pretty hideous" we laugh and stop before giant double doors. He folds his arms behind his back and says "I will have guards escort you too your room when you are ready" before I can say anything he turns on his heels and stalks down the hall. Taking a deep breath I knock on the door and it opens to reveal Alina, blood on her lip and by he hair line "what happened to you? you look a mess" I jest as I enter her room, "I could say the same for you" she says and I poke my tongue out at her. We sit for a while talking about what we witnessed on the ride here when the doors burst open and a woman with bright red hair and white clothing comes in.

"you, go to your rooms and I will be along in a bit. I must start with your cousin" the woman demands and feeling a little awkward and too tired to argue I leave without another word. Men in a black uniform escort me down the hall and to the right where my rooms are. I open the door and the room is almost bigger then Alina's and the bed as silk black sheets on it. I go over and sit down running my hands through the covers as I think about what was revealed to me today. I am a Grisha but not just any Grisha I am the Lightning Summoner which is ridiculous because it is just a myth but so was Grisha one upon a time. If I am the Lightning Summoner that means I am destined to rule a Kingdom with the dark prince by my side but who is the dark prince?

My mind wanders to a day in the orphanage when the testers came to test everyone. Mal couldn't be tested because he had a cut on his palm where as Alina and I were going to be. The idea of the three of us being split up was unbearable so we found ways to go untested, I faked an illness and stayed in bed for the day whereas Alina cut her palm while they were testing her. What if we had been tested that day? what if we were whisked away to the Little Palace to live and train, would we be be any different? The woman from earlier comes bursting in with the others and she glances at me "I'm Genya, I am here to make you more presentable for the king" I choke on the air and she gives me a look "the- the King?"I ask and she nods opening a trunk full of bottles "he insists that he sees you tonight, so you can start training tomorrow" I frown. Genya hands me a mirror and I ask "why would I train? I am already a mapmaker" she smiles and she gets rid of the circles under my eyes "oh honey, you are too rule one day, you need to learn to protect yourself" I pull a face and move away "what if I don't want to rule?" I ask and she looks at me, she cocks her head "you don't want to be Queen?" I shake my head "I was fine with my old life, this just seems excessive" Genya laughs "that will make you a great Queen"

Once she is done altering my appearance she brings out a dress from her case, "a Grisha normally wears a Kefta but since you are practically royalty you are to wear a dress" the dress is a beautiful blue colour, to signify the Etherealki order I belong to, with black lace dancing around it. I slide it on and Genya gasps I look down afraid it looks awful on me. "You look amazing Miss Starkov" she says and I smile "if we are going to be friends you should call me Salem" this makes her face light up and she nods. I take in the colour of her Kefta and ask "what does white mean?" she stiffens slightly as she starts on my hair, "it is the colour of a servant" she answers and I give her a small smile "its ok, its not so bad" but she doesn't sound so convinced. My hair is in two braids down my back and golden heels are put on my feet, "everyone will fall to your feet" she says and I laugh "one can hope".