Chapter 61

It's time

It's time. We are bartering Kuwei's services to the public and for our plan to work the Ravkan's need to win. I walk in next to Zoya, behind my king representing my country even if I live in Ketterdam now. I have on my black suit, hair in a high ponytail, mask on and weapons strapped to my back. As we walk through the church of barter all eyes are on us and whispers sounds through out. Good. Let them talk. Let them know that Kaz's most prized assassin stands with Ravka.

I take a seat between my friends, Genya giving me a comforting smile, I want to smile back but that isn't the Salem Ketterdam knows so I nod my head to her before looking forward. A few seconds later the doors to the church burst open and in comes Kuwei with Kaz and Matthias flanking him and a set of Stadwatch guards. Just in case.

Kaz still looks beaten up from when he went back to the Slat to confront our old boss. He came out alive if not for a split lip and black eye, I narrow my eyes watching them walk down the main aisle, it makes him look more ruthless, more dangerous. I risk a glance upwards and spot a shadow of movement on the wooden beams, Inej. I relax slightly before Zoya leans over "I wouldn't get to comfortable, this will probably end in a fight" I look over at her cold expression before answering "I live in Ketterdam Zoya, I'm always ready for a fight" and turn my attention back to the front.

When they get to the front the city auctioneer approaches the raised dias and takes his place at the podium next to the alter. There is shouting at Kaz and Matthias from the Kerch and Fjerdans and to stop this the auctioneer, Radmakker being his gavel down "there will be order" he bellows and the room goes silent.

Kuwei, Kaz and Matthias take their places on stage by the podium. Kaz and Matthias blocking a nervous Kuwei from view. Radmakker waited for absolute silence from the crowd before he starts going over the rules of auction and the terms of Kuwei's preferred indenture and then the auction begins.

"Five million Kruge" the Shu ambassador shouts first, "five million Kruge" repeats Radmakker "do we have six?" I look around at all the desperate faces of ambassadors wanting to get their grubby hands on the formula for Jurda Parem. Good luck with that. "Six" the Fjerdans counter and I glance to my friends but Sturmhond waits letting them Shu and Fjerdans throw numbers back and forth. The Zemini delegate occasionally ups the price trying to slow the biddings momentum.

When the bidding hits forty million Kruge Nikolai finally stands up. "Fifty million Kruge" he shouts and the church goes silent again. My heart is banging in my chest, are we actually going to pull it off? "Fifty million Kruge from the Ravkan delegation" Radmakker says slightly stunned, the merchant council are whispering to each other behind their palms.

"Do I hear another?" The auctioneer asks the crowd, the Shu and the Fjderans are conferring amongst themselves though they seem to be arguing more then talking. I glance to my king, he has a satisfied look on his face and Zoya winces, we both know what this has cost us and it's not fifty million. A Shu man stands up "sixty million" a pit forms in my stomach, a counter raise of ten million. Just as Kaz had anticipated. The Fjerdans offer next at sixty million two hundred thousand. The Zemeni also increase to sixty million fifty hundred thousand.

"Seventy million" the Shu says, "eighty million" Sturmhond calls, the Shu glares at us "ninety million" he says. "Ninety-one million" Ravka places the bid, the Shu clearly bored calls "one hundred and ten million Kruge" the whole hall gasps. The auctioneer confirms the bid, asking for another offer but the church is silent. Nikolai gives a jagged laugh and shrugs "one hundred and twenty million Kruge".

Before the auction can go any further there is a boom from the the back of the room. We all look behind us the massive double doors blow open and a wave of seawater comes crashing in. The council of Tides. Shit. fifteen figures cloaked the in blue file inside, their faces obscured by mist. People are calling for their weapons, some are clutching one another and screaming. I look at my friends, Genya nods to me and I slide a knife from my sleeve, just in case.

The figures glided up the aisle "we are the Council of Tides" says the cloaked figure in the lead, "this auction is a sham" my heart falls to my stomach. This is bad, really really bad. Shocked murmurs rise from the crowd. Radmakker tried to call order with little success, "the auction is sanctioned by law" a Shu ambassador shouts "you have no right to stop the proceeding". The Tidemakers raise their arms and another wave crashed through the open doors and arch's over the heads of the Shu and hovering there.

"Silence" the leader demands coldly "we have received word that these proceedings have been compromised" I can't help it. I have to look at King Nikolai. "The rules of auction are clear" she continues "nether the indenture nor his representatives are permitted to interfere with the auctions outcome. The market must decide" how the hell did they find out? I've never seen a member of the Council of Tides before, they never leave their tower by the docks.

The merchant council are on their feet now demanding answers "here I thought I would have to be the one to reveal your scheme with the Ravkans" Van Eck makes a big deal while saying "but it seems the Tide will have the honour" his lips curl in a wicked smile. "Wylan took quiet a beating before he gave you and your friends up" he says moving towards the podium "I never knew the boy had such a spine" I stand up then, lightning crackling along my fists glaring at the man.

"A false fund was created to swindle honest merchants out of their money" the Tidemaker continues as though she never heard him "that money was funnelled to one of the bidders" I keep my pulse steady, feeling Kaz's eyes on me. Letting that ground me so I don't loose my shit. "Of course" Van Eck says feigning shock "the Ravkans! We all knew they didn't have the funds to bid competitively in such an auction. We are aware of how much money the Ravkans crown has borrowed from us over the last two years" I roll my eyes at this pale attempt.

"Brekker is working with them" Van Eck finished and then the other bidders are out of their seats now. Matthias growls something to Kaz who is still looking at me, the rest of the Ravkans have their heads high not showing weakness. "Do you think so?" Kaz asks Van Eck softly, calmly, a shiver goes down my spine. The Tides raise their arms and the whole building shakes "the Ravkan's have nothing to do with this" the leader says "the money was transferred to the Shu" Van Eck blinks then changes tack "well then, Brekker struck some kind of deal with the Shu" he is really grasping for straw now. 

Instantly the Shu start shouting their defence but the Tidemaker is louder "the false fund was created by Johannus Ritvield and Jan Van Eck" and said man goes white. We've got him. The fight back and forth for a while and Nikolai leans forward "I'm impressed" I blush and smile softly "thank you your majesty" and I catch Kaz's gaze who looks like he is planning Nikolai's death.