Chapter 41

Half way through the party I spot Nina walking in with the Menagerie and I nod my head acknowledging her

Half way through the party I spot Nina walking in with the Menagerie and I nod my head acknowledging her. I just want this all to be over but I also want to know everyone is safe, not knowing that makes me crazy. I frown when I see Inej isn't with her, where is she? Did something go wrong? My heart is hammering in my chest, "are you ok?" Karlan asks standing next to me, "you look a little pale" I nod my heading smiling and clenching my glass tightly "I'm fine" I say and head off to talk to some Fjerdan officials.

"So Andromeda where are you from?" A grey haired Druskellë asks me, I smile sweetly "I'm from Os Kervo" i bite my lip keeping myself from punching him when he places a hand on my arm, "I guess it is very different for you here" he comments and I nod my head "very" I say taking a sip of my drink. I see Matthias and Kaz standing as guards, Kaz's beady eyes on me something like death glancing his expression.

I turn back to the older man and add "I don't have to fear of Grisha here of course" he nods his head enthusiastically "of course, of course. This is one of the safest places in the world" I smirk at that and look down "if you like here so much you should find yourself  a nice Fjerdan man to look after you" I almost spit out my drink at that and let my eyes fall to Kaz again, his gaze still on me. "I am not sure a Fjerdan man would want me sir but it is a nice sentiment" I say my expression crestfallen, the man places his hand on top of my own and says "you are a very pretty girl Andromeda, men will line up once they know you are looking for a suitor" I fake a blush and notice Matthias is gone, I look around and so is Nina. I turn back to Kaz who nods subtly and makes for a door. 

Downing the rest of my drink I place the glass on the table and give the Druskellë a weary smile, "I must use the bathroom, if you would excuse me" he nods, I curtsy slightly before following Kaz out of the door he just disappeared through. Once through I see him waiting for me at the other end and when I get to him I say "glad to see you are alive" he smiles and starts walking again "I like the dress" he teases and I huff "don't get used to it" we reach the end of the hall and step out into the cold night air. I curse gently as I start to shiver and I follow Kaz out into the dark "where are we going?" I whisper trying to keep up with him in heels over bumpy terrain, Kaz looks back briefly "Nina has fallen into a trap, we need to get her out of it" is the explanation he gives. Frowning I ask"how do you know that?" before tripping over a rock, Kaz catches me before I reach the ground and we stare into each others eyes. Shifting awkwardly he stands me up straight and fixes his hair "I just do" he snaps and stalks off and I can't help but roll my eyes.