Chapter 38

The night after the attack I am still shaken enough that sleep is impossible, I sit by the crackling fire and watch as the flames dance around when Kaz comes and sits next to me, his bad leg stretched out near the heat

The night after the attack I am still shaken enough that sleep is impossible, I sit by the crackling fire and watch as the flames dance around when Kaz comes and sits next to me, his bad leg stretched out near the heat. "Why did you stop me from helping the others?" I ask glancing towards the tents behind us, "you are the best player we have" he says "if we bring you out too earlier the game is lost" it hurts to know he doesn't actually care wether I get hurt or not but rather what happens for the rest of the trip. I pull my legs up to my chest "good to know" I mutter and I hear him sigh, "I also didn't want you exposed to Helvar" I raise an eyebrow "you still don't trust him" I muse and he shakes his head, "I don't. Not around you" something fills the gap around us and I can't tell what it is.

I shift closer to Kaz and rest my head on his shoulder forgetting for a moment about his touch thing before straightening up "sorry" I mutter and he shakes his head "it's ok you rest your head on me" I'm shocked at this but don't question it. Instead lay my head on his shoulder, I feel him tense slightly and I feel kind of guilty, before I fall asleep.

——
It takes two more days of travel to reach the cliffs that over look Djerholm but it is easier as we move south and towards the coast. The city's harbour was crowded with ships, but its tidy streets marched to the water in an orderly fashion, it reminds me of Ketterdam almost.

The ice Court is a massive white building in the distance, on a cliff overlooking the harbour, it's almost intimidating. Almost. "Cannon" Jesper points out and we all squint to see the weapon further away, "I've broken into banks, warehouses, mansions, museums, vaults, a rare book library and once the bedchamber of a visiting Kaelish diplomat whose wife had a passion for emeralds" Kaz says "but I've never had a cannon shot at me" I scoff "I'm down for something different".

"There is something to be said for novelty" Jesper says, Inej presses her lips together tightly "hopefully it won't come to that". Jesper slings an arm around me earning a glare from Kaz "those guns are there to stop invading armies" I say  "good luck hitting a skinny little schooner" Nina shakes her head smiling brightly at me, her mood perked up over the last few days. "I'll quote you on that when a cannonball lands in my lap" she says and wink at her playfully.

We make our way into the main town from the cliffs, signs of Hringkälla celebrations everywhere, "what are they?" Wylan asks as we pass a cart selling wreathes of branches and silver ribbon. "Ash trees" Matthias answers simply "a sign to Djel"
"There is supposed to be one in the middle of the White Island" Nina says ignoring the warning look from the Fjerdan "it's where the Druskellë gather for the listening ceremony". Kaz taps his walking stick in the floor "why is it the first I'm hear of it?" He asks annoyed, his jaw tight and his fist clenched on his cane.

"The ash is sustained by the spirit of Djel" Matthias says "it is where we may best hear his voice" Saints Fjderans are strange. Kaz's eyes flicker slightly "not what I asked. Why isn't it on our plans?" The Druskellë frowns "because it is the holiest place in all of Fjerda and not essential to our mission" i suck in a breath nervously. "I say what's essential. Anything else you decided to leave in your great wisdom?" Kaz snaps angrily, "the Ice Court is a vast structure" Matthias says, turning away slightly "I can't label every crack and corner"

"Then let's hope nothing is lurking behind those corners" I say follow Kaz down the street, I swear if we make it out of the Ice Court alive I will personally hurt both Kaz and Matthias, I mean Wylan and Jesper aren't much trouble. Kaz leads us aimlessly through the city until we reach a tavern called the Gestinge. "Here?" Jesper complains looking into the dark windows, the whole building stinks of garlic and fish. Lovely.

Kaz glanced up and says "terrace" as if that answers all of our questions. Inej cocks her head "what's a gestinge?" She wonders out loud and Matthias answers "it means paradise" although I am very skeptical this place is a paradise but hey who am I to judge? Nina helps us secure a table on the taverns rooftop terrace which is mostly empty, the weather too cold to attract many people.

Jesper looks down at his bowl of food and jokes "Kaz if you want me dead, I prefer a bullet" I almost gag at the smell of the food in front of me and Kaz says "we are here for the view not the food" making us all look out and notice we now have a clear but distant view of the Ice Court. Aka our target. I look down on the streets below us and see Karlan and Darla are walking past. Shooting up, making the others at the table jump I move away from the table and say "I'll be back" and make my way down onto the street.

"Karlan" I shout racing towards my friends "Darla" they both turn and when they see me rush towards me. We all envelope in a hug and I suddenly miss my old life, my friends and although I hate to admit it, Aleksander. I tend not to think about that. "What are you doing here?" Darla asks and I beam like crazy, "I could ask you guys the same question" not wanting to reveal why I am actually here "Ravkan delegates were invited to the celebrations, we were chosen to go under cover" Karlan seems so proud but it's almost a death sentence. Looking around nervously, trying to ignore the stares of my friends above us I ask "could I tag along? I haven't been to a hood party in ages" the twins share a look before nodding.

Darla pulls my hand "have you got a dress?" I shake my head,biting my lip, she sighs "of course you don't" and so we go dress shopping. Before I leave, I manage to give Kaz a look that reads 'I'll meet you at the Ice Court; I have my own way in' and he gives me one in return that says 'just get careful'

A/N: thought I would make a few changes to the story line hope you guys don't mind!