Chapter 30

That night I fall asleep at my desk and when I wake up my neck aches

That night I fall asleep at my desk and when I wake up my neck aches. I didn't wake up naturally instead Inej woke me, of course I didn't hear her because she is almost unnaturally quite unless she wants to be heard. "What's up?" I ask stretching my back, she looks around as though afraid someone might hear us, there is no privacy in the Barrel but we take what we can get. "Kaz wants you to check in on Wylan and Matthias are doing" she tells me, she turns her back to let me change (media) and ask "doesn't Kaz know I have better things to do then to babysit a new Crow and a Fjerdan" she turns back around, her face the picture of amusement and she says "he knows he just doesn't care" groaning I follow Inej to the window and open it.

The roof is wet from last nights rain and I have to concentrate to make sure I don't fall as I climb through the window. Inej has been teaching me the city from the rooftops, surprisingly it is an easier way to travel, less foot traffic I guess. She puts her hood up massing her face in darkness and I slide a black mask on covering my mouth and nose, the smoke it thick up here. Slowly and silently I follow the Wraith across roofs through the city until we reach an abandoned looking building near the water and we drop to the pavement next to Nina who is looking nervously at the door.

"Hey Neen" I say in a way of greeting as I take my mask off, she looks over her eyes wild "will you tell me if he is ok?" She asks biting her nails nervously, I want to ask why she doesn't just ask him herself but from the look on her face something happened last night that wasn't good and I decide not to press. I nod and turn to say something to Inej but she is already gone, of course, probably off gathering intel on Van Eck to make sure this job is legit. I touch the heartrender's arm comfortingly before heading into the place with an explosives expert and an Druskellë inside.

Opening the door quickly and slipping inside I watch as a rough looking man with patches of bruises and cuts over his skin is point to a map and speaking broken Kerch to the boy with orange hair I saved last night. As if sensing my arrival the Druskellë turns around and eyes me suspiciously "who are you?" He asks narrowing his eyes, u step forward into the dim light of the room and say "how is the map getting on?" Not bothering to answer his question. "Fine, we are almost finished you can tell Kaz" of course the little Mercher knows I'm here on Kaz's orders, I watch as Matthias eyes the knife strapped to my thigh and then the axe on my back and I say "you could try it you know" he snaps out of whatever trance he was in and glares at me "although it won't end well for you"

Matthias raises an eyebrow and in a heavy accent says "you are nothing compared to a Druskellë" I let lightning flash in my eyes to show I am a match and he gasps "drüsje" witch. I step forward again and he stands up, at his full height he is probably 6'2 and a whole lot of muscle. I shrug acting nonchalantly and taunt "I prefer over lord or darling treasure of my heart but I guess that works too" he huffs and steps forward clearly meaning to do something when the door swings open and in walks Kaz, Inej, Jesper and Nina.

I step back, into line with the crippled boy and giving Matthias my best smile which only seems to infuriate him more. Good. "We are done hear" he says his voice demanding silence from everyone in the room, "I'll send word to each of you after I find us a ship but be ready to sail by tonight" I raise an eyebrow and Inej raises my question "so soon?". Kaz nods his head and explains "we don't know what kind of weather we'll hit, and there's a long journey ahead of us. Hringkälla is our best shot at Bo Yul-Buyar. I'm not going to risk loosing it" I realise I missed out on most of the planning that happened last night and I'll probably get caught up by someone other than Kaz later.

The dark haired man turns to Jesper and says "keep Wylan out of trouble" Jesper groans and asks "why me?" A ghost of a smile dances on his lips and he answers "you're unlucky enough to be in my line of sight and I don't want any sudden reconciliation between father and son before we set sail". The dark skinned male points at me and says "but Salem was in your line of sight too" I smirk and say "yeah but I'm his favourite" earning a glare from the man in question and when he turns his back to me again I poke my tongue out at my friend.

"You don't need to worry about that" Wylan reassures Kaz who retorts quickly "I worry about everything merchling. That's why I'm still alive. And you can keep an eye on Jesper" I start laughing and try to cover it with a cough with little success. "On me?" Jesper says indignantly and Kaz hands him a stack of money "yes you" he counted it out and handed someone to the sharpshooter "this is for bullets, not bets. Wylan make sure his feet don't mysteriously find their way into the gambling den in his way to buy ammunition understood?"

Jesper clearly offended snaps "I don't need a nurse maid" and I suck in a breath, keeping my eyes on Nina and Matthias who are exchanging glares at each other, "more like a chaperone, but if you want him to wash your nappies and tuck you in at night, that's your business" Kaz snaps back before giving some money to Nina "stock up for the journey only. If this works the way I think it will, we're going to have to enter the Ice Court empty handed" I shift and look at him but he doesn't look at me but turns to the Suli girl next.

"I'll need you to get cold weather gear" he tells her "there's a shop on the Wijnstraat that supplies trappers- start there" Inej takes the money and I ask "you think to approach from the north?" He nods, his dark hair shifting slightly. "The Djerholm harbour is crawling with customs agents and I'm going to bet they'll be tightening security during your big party" he shoots the Fjerdan a look and he says "it isn't a party" Jesper retorts "it sounds like a party" and I wonder if this man has a death wish.

"It isn't supposed to be a party" Matthias snaps angrily and Nina asks "what are we doing to do with him?" To that Kaz answers "for the moment he stays at the Crow Club. I want you dredging your memory for details Helvar. Wylan and Jesper will join you later. We'll keep it the parlour closer. If anyone in the main hall asks, tell them there's a private game going on" this time he turns to me and says "you'll guard until Jesper and Wylan get there" I nod and we all head off to our respective tasks.

I slide up next to the Fjerdan and say "let's go Druskellë, I have things I need to do" and he follows surprisingly without complaint.

A/N: what is the song that remind you of Salem and Kaz?