Chapter 62

"But I saw you

"But I saw you. We both saw you at Geldrenner" Van Eck continues to fight, Kaz mocks little interest in the matter slowly dragging his eyes from me "I was there for a presentation on Zemeni oil futures. it was most peculiar, what of it?". Van Eck shakes his head "no. If Rietveld is involved, Brekker is behind it. He must have hired Rietveld to swindle the council" I move through the rows of benches, taking off my mask Van Eck looks over to me wagging a finger "and don't get me started on her, she is Kaz Brekker's pet and she walked in with the Ravkans. How do you explain that" I see Kaz and Matthias clench their jaws at this accusation but I raise my hand to stop them from saying something back. I can fight my own battles. I step forward, Van Eck winces "first things first I am no ones pet I am my own person by right and by law" my voice is cold, calculated "and secondly I came in with the Ravkan delegation because I am from Ravka and these people" I turn to signal my friends "are people I have known for a long time so do not mistake that for anything more then friendship" I lock eye contact with the man and let him see the lighting I am sure is placing through my eyes. He winces again. 

A merchant breaks our staring by saying "every one of us put money into that fund at your encouragement" he glares at the elder man, "are you saying it's all gone?". The rest of the room has moved forward eager to hear everything that is being said "we knew nothing of this" the Shu ambassador from earlier declares, Van Eck has gone pale. I move slowly over to my friends behind me and I feel Kaz's hand reach for mine I take it giving it a brief squeeze before letting it go. "This is Trekker's doing" Van Eck insists looking slightly smug now "the boy will stop at nothing to humiliate me and the other honest men in this city. He kidnapped my son and wife" he gestures to Kaz "did I imagine you standing on Goedmedbridge in West Stave with Alys?" I swallow hard. 

"of course not. I retrieved her from the market square just as you asked" Kaz lies smoothly and I have to admire his courage because if the Council of Tides knows that the auction had been tampered with then they would surely know what was happening at their feet, "she was blindfolded and never saw the people who took her" he says honestly, the first honest thing he has said all day. Van Eck frowns, more lines appearing on his already creased forehead "nonsense" he says dismissively "Alys!" he shouts up the the western balcony where his wife is seated "tell them!". Alys shakes her head looking baffled and whispers something to her maid who calls down "her captors wore masks and she was blindfolded until she got to the square" he huffs in frustration "well my guard certainly saw him with Alys" 

I can't help it I just have to roll my eyes again, this man is foolish. "Men in your employ?" Radmakker asks skeptically, "Brekker was the one who set up the meeting at the bridge!" Van Eck throws his hands up in anger "he left a note at the lake house". Radmakker looks relieved then "ah. Can you produce it?" he nods reaching into his pocket "yes.... but it isn't signed" the auctioneer raises his eyebrow sceptically "then how do you know it was Mister Brekker who sent the note?" good question Radmakker. "he left a tie pin" Van Eck tries to explain, "his tie pin?" the question is shot before he can finish his sentence, "no my tie pin but-" he is cut of by another question "so you have no proof at all that Kaz Brekker kidnapped your wife" Radmakkers patiences are at an end, "is the business of your missing son a flimsy too? the whole city has been searching for him, rewards have been offered. I pray your evidence is stronger on that account" 

I have to smile at the sass at the man in front of me, I glance over to Kaz who is keeping his expression neutral but he flashes me a pleased look, this is all going to plan. "My son-" Van Eck starts but is again interrupted "I am right here father" Wylan says and I sigh glad to see this boy hasn't died yet. He is leaning against the wall, his face bloodied and barely able to stand. Ohhhhh Van Eck is dead when this is all over and from the look on Kaz's face it seems that he will join me. A good date night idea. 

"Ghezen's hand" Van Eck complains under his breath "can no one do their jobs?" I glance over to Zoya and Genya, their eyes trained on me as if ready to get me out of here if things go sideways. "Were you relying on Pekka Rollins' men?" Kaz asks in a low rasp, "I-" Van Eck starts but I continue for Kaz "and are you sure they were Pekka's men? if your not from the Barrel, you might find it hard to tell lions from crows. One animal is the same at the next" I see Van Eck shiver. "Help him" Radmakker says to some Stadwatch guards that have been utterly useless so far. The officer goes over to Wylan cautiously "Wylan Van Eck?" the auctioneer asks and he nods his head, the older man lets out a whistle "the boy we have been tearing apart the city for?" Wylan nods again. 

"I got free as soon as I could" he says his voice is rough, needs water, "from Brekker?" he glances at us and I give him a sweet smile. Wylan turns to Radmakker "from Rollins" he doesn't seem surprised "Pekka Rollins took you captive?" the red haired boy takes in a breath before answering "yes. Weeks ago". Van Eck steps forward and I cock my head narrowing my eyes at him, warning him, "stop your lies" he hisses "tell them what you told me. Tell them about the Ravkans" I growl flashing my teeth and cracking my knuckles. This man is walking a fine line. 

Wylan lifts his head wearily "I'll say whatever you want father. Just don't let them hurt me" I have to give him props, this guy can act. Should have gone into theatre. A gasp goes through the crowd, the merchant council look up at Van Eck in disgust. "Has Nina been giving him lessons?" Matthias whispers, I smile "maybe he is a natural" Kaz whispers back and I have to put my hand over my mouth to keep from laughing in such a serious moment. "Brekker is a criminal" Saints, this guy again "Brekker is behind all this! you all saw this man at my house the other night. He broke into my office" Van Eck says and begrudgingly a member of the council agrees that did happen. 

"Of course we were" Kaz says "Van Eck invited us there to broker a deal for Kuwei You-Bo's indenture. He told us we'd meet the merchant council. Pekka Rollins was waiting to ambush us instead" Lies mixed with truth are the most convincing lies. "You are saying he violated a good faith negotiation?" a mercher asks "that seems unlikely" how the hell did these guys earn their money when they are so gullible. "But we all saw the Shu there too" says another "though we did not know who it was at the time" Smirking I feel the pressure of Kaz's hand picking mine up. "I've seen the poster. Offering a reward for a Shu boy matching his description" Kazans says dryly "who provided his description?" oh Kaz you sneaky man, I see what you are doing. 

"well" the merchant from earlier hesitates before turning to Van Eck has voice sounding hopeful "surely you didn't know the Shu boy you were describing was Kuwei?" then another one shakes his head anger on his face "it was also Van Eck who pushed us to join Rietveld's fund". Van Eck looks flushed like he can't believe what he is hearing "you were so eager" he protests and they go back and forth for some time until an alarm starts playing. The plague wail. 

"What is that?" Kuwei asks and Kaz smirks "that, Kuwei, is the sound that death makes when she comes calling" I clap my hands together. it's time.