Chapter 10

The next day I am sitting with Alina in her rooms when Genya comes bursting in "u heard what you did a the dinner" she says coming to sit with us, I smile "thank you, it took more concentrating then I care to admit" the red haired girl scoffs and ...

The next day I am sitting with Alina in her rooms when Genya comes bursting in "u heard what you did a the dinner" she says coming to sit with us, I smile "thank you, it took more concentrating then I care to admit" the red haired girl scoffs and throws her hair over one shoulder "it was bloody brilliant, no one has ever put the Ivan in his place. Well apart from general Kirigan" she gives me a look when she says his name and I know she wants to ask something. I shift awkwardly before standing up "I am going to go to the library, see if there is anything I haven't read yet" I flash Alina a wink before disappearing through the door. Halfway to the library however I am stopped by the Darkling who has me up against the wall "I haven't seen you all day" he says, his arms ether side of me so I can't escape, not that I would want to. I tilt my head up to look at him and say "I've been busy" he leans closer and I am over come with the scent of honey and mint "doing what?" he asks, I try to keep my pulse steady as I answer "help my cousin summon her magic, she is getting pretty good" I keep my voice steady and add "we might be able to destroy the Fold soon". I thought this would make him happy but instead he straightens up and moves away "that's good news, I shall tell the king" he bows and leaves me alone. What the bloody hell was that about.

Feeling quite flustered, instead of going to the library I had back to my room in his quarters, the guards stop at the entrance of the section and I am free to wander alone. Slowly I make my way to the war room where we stand for hours on end talking strategy with the other generals, the room is dark like most rooms this side of the palace, once inside the room I notice a chest of drawers that I could have sworn was not there before and I get the sudden urge to look inside. I do and what I see are all our letters we sent to Mal and some he sent to us, I look around quickly to make sure no one els is in here and take one that has my name on it from a few days ago. I open the envelope carefully and unfold the letter.

Dear Salem,

there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss you and Alina. It is so boring at camp without you there with your endless teasing and jokes, we are making our way to the Fjarden border where they keep attacking and on one of our stops I saw a field full of honeysuckle and it reminded me of the day you chased one of the older boys with a bunch of it telling him it would kill him because he threatened to beat Alina and I up. I have always admired that about you, that you are so utterly fearless, I hope to be as brave as you one day.

Your best friend from the First Army,

Mal

My heart clenches at the words on the page as I gently place it back in the draw, I stand up and look around brushing my tears away. Why would he keep them from us? Alina and I trusted Genya to send our letters to Mal and instead she betrayed our trust, this makes me mad and before I have a chance to snoop anymore I stalk back to my rooms and slam the door shut behind me.

I sit on my window seat and look out into the courtyard, I spy Alina and Aleksander are standing by a pair of horses, I wander where they are going. I see them smiling at each other and I feel a pit in my stomach, what's wrong with me? to think I wasn't anything but entertainment for the Darkling. I pace my room, a current running through my veins, to keep from accidentally hurting anyone later I summon a little lightning throwing it from palm to palm. A few minutes later Genya comes in and I am ready to hurl my lightning at her head but instead I refrain myself and instead give her a sweet smile. She returns the gesture and comes closer to me "you need to be fitted for your dress for the winter fete" she tells me and I groan "it better not be anything too over the top I can just about walk in normal dresses" this earns a laugh from the Tailor and she signals me to follow her.

As we walk down the hallways she says "you are lucky, no one ever gets to stay in the General's quarters but I guess that's what you get for being basically royalty" I snort and shake my head retorting "that's what you get when there is an attempt o your life" Genya looks over clearly embarrassed, I can't help but feel sorry for the girl and I place a hand on her arm and say "its ok. Really, at least I know I can protect myself now" and she nods. We reach the fitting room and I am immediately whisked inside to get measured and a number of other things.

Once finished Karlan meets me outside the room and offers me his arm "where are we going?" I ask and he just smiles "you'll see" we pass many hallways and some parts of the palace I have never seen before until we reach the roof. The view from up here is amazing, you can see the whole of there palace grounds and the Grand Palace along with a few small villages in the distance "woah" I say and I hear someone chuckle "it's pretty amazing right?" I look over and see Darla sitting on a cover on the ground, a picnic basket beside her. She signals us over and I sit beside her gazing out at the view "what is all this?" I ask gently and the twins share an identical look before Karlan explains "you have been working so hard we thought we would surprise you" I smile and peer inside the basket "macaroons" I say happily with a grin.