Chapter 60

After the events of the hallway, Kaz and I make our way back to the room, he stands so close to me that when we reenter the room Jesper smirks and says "there's the happy couple" both Kaz and I glare at him

After the events of the hallway, Kaz and I make our way back to the room, he stands so close to me that when we reenter the room Jesper smirks and says "there's the happy couple" both Kaz and I glare at him. I fold my arms and say "Jesper, I will personally make sure you have a bad time in hell" making Kaz chuckle. I move and sit down next to Nina who gives my hand a comforting squeeze and say "where were we?". It turns out Inej has a new friend as well, equally matching her in combat and Nina can raise the dead. Oh and Wylan's mother isn't actually dead.

"So I didn't miss much" I say lounging on the couch next to Genya and Zoya both keeping an eye on me like I am going to collapse at any minute. We decide Wylan and Jesper should go to get explosives while Kaz and Nina are to go to the morgue and Matthias, Kuewi and I need to stay here with Jesper's father. Genya, Zoya and King Nikolai need to get ready for the bidding of the Shu scientist (which we have totally rigged).

Before they leave I am in the bedroom looking at the scar on my stomach in the mirror. A tap sounds on the door and I look over in the mirror to see Kaz leaning against the door frame, turning around a bright smile on my face "hey, what's up?" I ask. Kaz limps closer to me and when he comes into touching distance he brings his gloved hand to cup my face "Rietveld" he whispers, I frown moving my head to the side "what?" I ask and he sighs "Kaz Rietveld. That's my name and I want you to have it. Know it. Know me" biting my lip I nod my head, bring my hand up to cover his. Kaz leans in and we kiss gently before he disappears out.

Not only has Kaz kissed me but he has opened up. Something I didn't know he was capable of. "Salem, want to play cards?" Jesper's father asks me and I nod smiling politely making my way over to the table by the window. Light streaming in. Cohlm deals me in and we start playing "Nina and I have decided to go to Ravka with Kuwei" Matthias tells me a few minutes into the game.

I glance briefly over to him before placing a card down "have you ever been?" I ask calmly, cooly. I watch out of the corner of my eye as he shakes his head "no but from what you and Nina tell me, I know it is beautiful" he answers deeply. There is a few moments of silence before he asks "would you like to come with us?" I tense, unsure of what to say before eventually replying "I would love to but Ravka bring up too many bad memories for me. That country needs to stay in my past" Jesper's father gives me a pitying look which I shrug off the best I can.

I win this game of cards and the one after and the one after that. Time seems to be going slowly, "I am going to have a nap" I announce standing from my chair and making my way back to the bedroom. No one says anything as I slip inside and onto the bed. It doesn't take my long to fall asleep ether.

I wake up in a bright field, a field I would recognise anywhere. It's the one by the orphanage where Mal, Alina and I grew up. But why am I here? Slowly I start walking towards the building, a lot nicer and cleaner then I last saw it. There is a leak on the hall anymore and the steps are shinny with polish.

"Mal" a familiar voice calls and when she turns to corner I am shocked. I expected to see Alina as a child, I assumed this was a memory but the Alina in front of me is grown with white hair and a more sensible posture. Mal then appears from behind the door to my right, the one to the library "yes my love" he answers sweetly. He too looks older, like I'm peeking in on a special moment in their lives, Alina steps forward a blinding smile on her face. "David is here" Mal frowns clearly not understanding before his expression changes.

"Right. I'll be right there Alina" he says before disappearing again. Alina move to turn around before she stops eyes trained on me, she gasps a hand going to her mouth like she can see me. Wait..... can she see me? "Alina?" I ask tentatively stepping forward. My cousin then bursts into tears and throws her arms around me "Salem, I have missed you so much" frowning I step back "how can you see me?" I ask before i remember and my hand goes up to reach it muttering "the necklace" more for myself then her.

Mal comes out of the library looking concerned "what are you crying about?" He asks before turning towards us and A smile breaks out on all of our faces "Salem?" He asks and I nod. Mal rushes towards me and picks me up spinning me around, once he sets me down he says "I didn't realise you were coming back or that you were here" I bite my lip and shuffle my feet slightly "I'm not really here" I say and they both look at me confused.

"My necklace" I explain signalling it on my neck "it has these mystical powers that I'm not sure how to properly work yet, it seems as though I am here but only in my conscious" they both nod their heads slowly. "So what, you're asleep right now?" Mal asks and I nod my head, he chuckles "awesome" I'm response Alina hits him on the arm "how do you even know it's safe?" She asks and I shrug "I don't even know how I did this" she sighs and envelopes me in a hug once more.

I close my eyes relishing this time with her, "you should come home" she whispers and a tear falls from my eye "I am home Lina, this is where I belong" she doesn't say anything we just hold each other. Afraid to let each other go, incase I disappear. "I love you so much" I whisper, tears now falling in from my eyes in force "I love you too"Alina answers. And sure enough I start to wake up.

A/N: I'm not sure how I'm feeling about this chapter but it is sort of a filler anyway. Hope you guys are enjoying :)