Chapter 64

Kaz's POV

Admits all of the drama and planning we never spoke about where to meet when this was all over. I want nothing more then to know she is safe, to know no harm has come to her but if there has I will hunt the bastards down and make their torture last forever.

The streets are almost deserted now from mine and Nina's plan with the fake plague . Speaking of, we have just left Nina to say goodbye to Matthias, let her grieve properly. All silly, if she hadn't got attached to someone so slow this wouldn't have happened. I wouldn't have lost my best- well one of my best soldiers.

As we wait outside "have you heard from Salem?" Inej asks from beside me, her presences doesn't shock me, I knew she was there before she made a sound. I shake my head keeping my eyes on the distance, everyone is silent taking a moment to grieve Matthias Helvar. I may not have liked him much but I sure admire his bravery and his optimism.

Then, in the distance three people coming limping over. One of them, the male, is carrying someone. As they get closer we can make out their features and my heart drops. "Salem?" Jesper calls eyes sparking with excitement for seeing his friend. He hasn't noticed yet. Oh Saints. As they get closer, all of them pale but not as pale as her god I can't even think her name for fear of breaking down.

Jesper stands up and races towards them before halting, realising. He puts a shaking hand over his mouth and I know his going to cry. Strumhond places her lifeless body down, still beautiful even in death and Jesper cries out in pain. Inej silent as always goes over to Jesper and falls to his side and there they are kneel on the floor next to their friends body.

I stay frozen unable to move "what happened?" I ask through gritted teeth, "we were almost clear but she- she was tackled by someone and when she got free she got caught by another man and by then it was too late" Zoya says a single tear falling from her eye. My heart feels like it's just been ripped from my chest, like when Jordie died but worse. So much worse. All this lose, I can't handle anymore, I would rather have died so she could live. God why did she have to die? I was finally opening up, accepting human touch and then in a click of a finger it's gone. She is gone.

A few minutes later Nina comes out and when she sees Salem lying on the ground she screams falling to the floor, arms wrapped around her like she might fall apart from all of this loss. I look around at everyone crying, mourning the greatest love of my life. The only love of my life. I mean no one could compare, how could they? When they embody everything a person should be. Everything I could never live up to.

I look around and see how many people loved her and realise there are plenty more back home that will mourn her death as we have only they have known her longer. This girl had a wonderful reach, she created happiness for so many people and now that life is lost. There is no more happiness in the world, it all left with her.

A/N: ok so thissssss is the last chapter lmao enjoy :)