Chapter 36

Out on the deck Kaz is waiting for me, Inej has already disappeared to rest and when I move next to the boy he says "if something goes wrong at the Ice Court, you need to get out" I raise an eyebrow as I look out at sea, the temperature getting co...

Out on the deck Kaz is waiting for me, Inej has already disappeared to rest and when I move next to the boy he says "if something goes wrong at the Ice Court, you need to get out" I raise an eyebrow as I look out at sea, the temperature getting colder the closer we get to Fjerda. "You expecting something to go wrong?" I ask simply and he shakes his head "no but just incase" he inches closer "you are too powerful to get locked up in that place, do what ever you can to get out" I blush slightly and as he walks away I ask "is that all it is? About power?" He stops and turns to me, a hand clutched to his beloved cane "power is one of the few things I value in this life" is the only answer he gives me before he leaves me alone.

——

We are in Fjerda, this is actually happening. We march for a while in silence, neither Kaz nor I telling the others about the full plan. Bits and pieces is safer then the whole plan, less things can go wrong then, well thats his excuse anyway. I just do as I'm told. "Saints" says Inej "we're actually doing this" it seems almost serial I can't believe it ether, "I've spent every minute of this miserable journey wishing to be off the ship" Jesper says "so why do I suddenly miss it?" I try to trip him up playfully and say "because you have attachment issues" Jesper pokes his tongue out at me and I return to gesture.

Wylan stamps his boots "maybe because it already feels like our feet are going to freeze off" Kaz stalks past us, "when we get out money you can burn Kruge to keep warm" he says "let's go" this is going to be fun. As we make our way through the cold country Jesper says "I'll pay someone to burn my Kruge for me" Jesper and I fall into step with Kaz and I choose to ignore how ridiculous that is. "Why don't you pay someone to pay someone to burn your Kruge for you? That's what the big players are doing" Kaz jests and I roll my eyes "idiot boys" and I see a flash of a smile on his face.

"You know what the really big bosses do? They pay someone to..." Jesper starts and I put my hand on his mouth shutting him up "do not say another word about that" I say and a hint of mischief forms in his eyes. Oh saints. We all climb unstably through the snow and ice but Matthias being used to the climate is ahead, lucky bastard. I rub my hands together to try to keep them warm before digging them into my pockets.

The first day of trekking was quiet, little talk, the snow swallowing everything around us. It was peaceful, if it wasn't for the cold I could live here. Alone with my thoughts. The sun was setting and we built some tents for us to sleep in, there isn't enough for everyone, Kaz has one to himself, Wylan and Jesper are sharing. Matthias and Inej has agreed to share a tent, both of the same temperament and so that leaves Nina and I. After sharing out some rations and saying goodnight I climb into the tent and fall onto my roll "it's freezing" I say my teeth clattering in my skull and Nina slides in another roll across the tent "we can share body warmth" she suggests and it isn't a bad idea.

I am about to agree when I clutch my pendant and gasp my head spinning like crazy.

I am standing on a boat, not just any boat but a boat where Aleksander is standing with Genya, Zoya and oh my god. Alina and Mal, he caught them. He is alive, I can see his lips moving but not what he is saying. I can't hear anything actually. I step forward and stand in front of Alina, waving my hand in her face. She doesn't seem to see me. What is this?

I hear Nina call my name and I look over to her "what's wrong?" She asks and I shake my head getting up and climbing into her roll, collecting body heat "nothing" I whisper.

In the morning Kaz is ready to dig into details, "if we get this right, we are going to be in and out of the Ice Court before the Fjerdans know their prize scientist is gone" he explains quickly, none of us really wanting to stay still for too long. "We enter the prison, we'll be taken to the holding area beneath the men's and women's cell blocks to await charges" I add "if Matthias is right and the procedures are still the same, the patrols will only pass through a he holding cells three times a day for head counts. Once we're out of the cells,we should have at least six hours to cross to the embassy, locate Bo Yul-Bayur on the White Island and get him to the harbour before they realise anyone is missing" Kaz finishes and we share a look.

"What about the other prisoners in the holding cells?" Matthias asks, his accent thicker back in his home country, Kaz looks at me "we have that covered" he says and I really hope this goes according to plan. Kaz ignores the look he gets from Matthias "once we are out of the cells" I continue "Matthias and Jesper will secure the rope from the stables while Wylan and Kaz get Inej, Nina and I out of the woman's holding area. The basement is our meet. That's where the incinerator is, and no one should be in the laundry after the prison shuts for the night. While Inej makes the climb Wylan, Kaz and I scour the laundry for anything he can use for demo. And just in case the Fjerdans decided to stash Bo Yul-Bayur in the prison and make life easy on us, Nina, Matthias and Jesper will search the top level cells" I hold my cloak close to me to keep out the cold winds.

"Nina and Matthias?" Jesper asks once I'm done "far be it from me to doubt anyone's professionalism, but is that really an ideal pairing?" I get what he means, the pair have ether been at each other's throats or completely ignoring each other. "Matthias knows the prison procedure and Nina can handle any guards without a noisy fight. Your job is to keep them from killing each other" Kaz answers from him and Kesper frowns "because I'm the diplomat of the group?" He asks and Kaz says "there is no diplomat of the group. Now listen, the rest of the prison isn't like the holding area. Patrols in the cell block rotate every two hours, and we don't want to risk anyone sounding an alarm, so be smart. We coordinate everything to the chiming of the Elderclck. We're out of the cells right after six bells, we're up the incinerator and on the roof bu eight bells. No exceptions"

Wylan cocks his head "and then what?" He asks and I answer "we cross to the embassy sector roof and get access to the glass bridge from there" we finish explaining the plan, everting doubtful it will work. I let out a breathe as stand ready to leave our little campsite. Please let this work.

A/N: what's been your favourite moment in the book so far?