Chapter 29

In exchange for Nina Zenik's help with the job Kaz has agreed to break someone out of prison

In exchange for Nina Zenik's help with the job Kaz has agreed to break someone out of prison. Matthias Helvar, a Druskellë from Fjerda tasked with hunting down and killing Grisha. Why the heartrender wants him released I do not know. That's how I ended up waking my friends to a boat, before Kaz can get in I grab his wrist and he turns to face me "you know this is stupid" I whisper and he gives me a look which tells me he already knows that and he whispers back "we can't do this without Nina and the only way she agreed to help is if we release this Fjerdan" he steps away before stopping and turning to me "you never know, he may come in handy"

I watch as their boat floats out in the water before I turn and head back up to the city. I chose not to go with them on this endeavour but instead read the letter waiting for me back in room at the Slat, as well as the stack of other notes we managed to intercept from high end Merchers. I move through the busy streets minding my own business when someone grabs my arm and the smell of alcohol fills my nose "hoe much love?" A slurring voice asks and I look to see the guy holding my wrist is raffled, probably been pickpocketed once or twice tonight.

I yank my hand back and say "not for sale" but he doesn't like that answer so tries to push me against the wall. Cute how men think they can just have their way with you whenever they want. Before my back hits the brick wall I grab his arm, swing him around me push his face up against the brick work, I lean closer, the man clearly sober from the hit on head and I whisper "like I said. Not. For. Sale" I don't give the man a chance to say anything but hit his head against the wall again and he slumps to the floor unconscious. That'll teach him.

Finally back in my room I make my way over to my desk and sit down, the room is lit by a few candles dotted around the room. Sitting down I think back to when I first arrived in Ketterdam, doe-eyed and still innocent even after everything I went through. It took me just over a month to learn how I need to act to survive in this city, the old me would have died before we reached the Crow Club.

I take the letter from the top of the pile and settle down on the chair, the scrawl is familiar and I open it gently careful not to rip the paper. Unfolding the paper I start to read.

Dear Salem,
The village we are in now is quite and homely. Reminds me of the town next toKeramsin where we grew up, you know the one with the lake running through? Yesterday we tried a delicacy from the town that tasted of the sweets we gorged ourselves on at the Little Palace. Still no word from anyone in Ravka, who knows what's happening there.

Hope your safe

- Alina and Mal

I got my first letter from them a few months ago but I have been so busy with jobs that I haven't had a spare moment to stop and reply, not that i would know where to send it since they move so much. By the time it reaches a village they would already be gone.

I scratch the back of my neck and hear a knock on the door. Of course I can't get a moments peace but with Kaz out of town I am in charge, a pleasure I have only had twice before. Opening my door, standing in front of me is a scruffy looking boy a few years older then me, his eyes a bright green "what do you Jakob?" I ask shortly and he shifts his weight from one foot to another nervously "there's a brawl downstairs, thought you might want to sort it out" he says and I hear shouting down the stairs.

Rolling my eyes I signal for him to follow me down and once at the bottom I see Adam, a thick muscled man, his hand grabbing the collar of a boy he is twice the size of. The boy has bright red hair and he is shaking like crazy, "hey" I shout stepping off the last step, everyone goes silent and looks at me apart from Adam. "Adam, let him go" I order and when he doesn't I step forward again "now" I say through gritted teeth, he still doesn't so I head over, ignoring the muttering around us and I push him away.

Adam look down at me, he towers over me like most people around me but I don't let that frighten me, "what is your problem" I demand and Adam points at the other boy accusingly "he has being stealing things from my room" I raise an eyebrow and fold my arms "Wylan? Wylan has been stealing your things?" I ask, he is one of the newest members of the gang and only useful for his knowledge of explosives apart from that he resembles a puppy. Wouldn't even hurt a fly.

Adam scoffs and says "not that you would believe it bitch,  no one would dare touch you. Your Dirtyhands' little pet" I step forward everything gone still. I cock my head and say "what as that?" He doesn't back down but instead adds "why are you so special? Give him your services do ya?" A couple of people around us laugh and I clench my jaw. Not liking what he is implying.

Within seconds my fist connects with his jaw and he goes stumbling back, I wipe my hand on my trousers to keep from feeling the pain and I say "you better not be here when Kaz gets back, I wouldn't come back for a few days" and with that I turn to the other boy involved. "Try to stay out of trouble. I don't want to make it a habit, saving you" I say brushing past him and heading back up to my room. Waiting for my friends to get back from Hellgate.