Chapter 15

The dress is beautiful (media) Genya was right, it fits me perfectly and draws attention to the right details

The dress is beautiful (media) Genya was right, it fits me perfectly and draws attention to the right details. I won't fight my cousin over a man but if Aleksander does not choose me, well I haven't seen her yet but I am sure whatever she is wearing can not be compared to this work of art in front of me. "you look amazing" Darla says from behind me and I turn beaming brightly, "good, I need everyone's attention for my show" no one knows what I am doing. Not even Aleksander and he is using his gift to backdrop my own, maybe then he will see that I am worth it. pulling my hair into a messy bun I step from the box I was standing on and look over to my friend "you don't think its too much?" I ask biting my lip, she shakes her head and comes closer to me "you will catch everyone's eye tonight. They won't be looking at anyone else" she assures me" we embrace and when we pull apart I spy Karlan standing in the door way. A smirk plastered onto his face, he comes over and bows slightly "you look elegant Salem" he says taking my hand and spinning me around, I giggle like a little girl and smile like an idiot "thank you Karlan" I say and he steadies me after I loose my footing. He bends down and whispers "I thought I would warn you, it seems General Kirigan is on a war path" we share a look of amusement and he adds "I would take the last door on the left, it will lead you a different way to the Grand Palace" I nod, say goodbye to my friends and head to the door Karlan suggested.

In the Grand Palace I stand in a corner, a glass of champagne in my hands watching the Inferni twins bounce fire between them, the normal people watching in awe but I can see how much they hate it, performing like a circus animal. A blonde haired man sidles up beside me and I look over at him "you must be Prince Vasily" I say and he nods, taking a sip of his drink "and you are the famous Lightning summoner" I wince and look back to the Grisha performing "call me Salem" I say and I see out of the corner of my eye he smiles. "that is a pretty name" Vasily comments and I nod scanning the room for anyone I know "it means safe in Kerch" this catches his attention and the crown prince asks "was your mother from there?" I shake my head and noticing Aleksander staring at us I plaster on a fake smile as though he has just said something funny and turn to face the prince.

"My father was Kerch, my mother Ravkan" I explain and the prince looks at me with such intensity, "you must miss them terribly" he says gently and I nod looking down at my dress, flowing out around me "everyday" I feel him put a hand on my shoulder and I have the urge to shive him off until I see the look on The Darkling's and I feel a sudden pleasure in his misery. I look up into Vasily's blue eyes as he says "I know they would be incredibly proud of you", god I want to kick him in the balls but instead I make myself blush and I dip my head "thank you Prince Vasily" then its Alina and my turn to perform.

I make my way to a pedestal and when I climb onto it I notice that no one is looking at me but instead Aleksander and Aline, he is helping her up and the way they are looking at each other makes me want to hurl. The sooner this is over with the better. I spot Karlan and Darla in the crowd as the General of the Second Army starts to talk "her name is Alina Starkov. And she will bring liberation to us all" everyone starts murmuring and we make eye contact across the room, "and she" he continues, never taking his eyes off of me "is Salem Starkov she will bring justice to this country" everyone cheers and I smirk look down at the people around me.

Aleksander steps down from the pedestal and raises his arms in the air letting a curtain of darkness fold across the room and I loose sight of my friends making me feel nervous. I am Salem Starkov and I am not afraid. Alina steps forward and summons pool of light between her hands, lighting up the whole room so I can see the looks of hope in the crowd's faces. Alina passes the light between her hands effortlessly before pushing is out in front of her and over the crowd, the light changes colour and I see several people clutching their chests and muttering prayers. He turns to me then and I take that as my cue.

I slam my hand into the ground making the ceiling rumble with thunder, slowly I bring my hands up let lightning dance on the roof, before bringing it down and letting it snake up my arms and around my neck and up onto my head in a crown. Then I twist my wrists and another slither of lightning comes crackling down causing some people to gasp, I find Karlan in the crowd and spear my gift towards him, he doesn't move but instead invites it in, I wrap it around his waist and pull him up, a look of pure joy spread onto his face. Slowly I let him down and I let the lightning cover me, dancing in-between the folds of my dress and weaving itself into my hair. The audience is speechless and I smirk slowly releasing the hold on my power. I turn and see Kirigan looking at me, something nameless in his eyes.

When the show is over some people start getting on their needs and calling us Sankta which makes me feel slightly uncomfortable, I already have too much pressure. I make my way off of the pedestal and my friends are instantly by my side "that was amazing" Darla praises and I am pulled into a hug with her twin "you have defiantly improved" he says and I laugh "that was just a little show" he throws his arm over my shoulder and we stop rejoicing when The Darkling comes over. "General" I greet dipping my head, he returns the gesture, his eyes flitting between Karlan and I, "that was magnificent Salem" he says and I smile softly "thank you sir" I see his fists tighten, he nods and slowly walks away. Karlan bursts out laughing shaking me and says "what in the hell was that?" I grin up at him and shove him away playfully "stop being an ass"