Chapter 16

A few hours into the celebration Ivan comes to find me, his face somber "we have a guest, says he found the Stag" he tells me, I look around at the people around me before nodding "ok take me to the room" and I follow him through the busy rooms un...

A few hours into the celebration Ivan comes to find me, his face somber "we have a guest, says he found the Stag" he tells me, I look around at the people around me before nodding "ok take me to the room" and I follow him through the busy rooms until we reach the War Room. I open the door and there standing at the table is Mal, I let out a sigh and walk further into the room "Mal" I say, we meet each other and he embraces me "Salem I have missed you so much" but before I can say anything in return The Darkling bursts into the room. I slowly make for his side as he says "these are the two who claimed the found the stag?" his voice void of emotion, the other guy with Mal says "no sir he did" pointing at my friend.

"and you are?" Aleksander demands walking to the table, me right behind him. "Malyen Oretsev" Mal answers, the other male stiffens, finally a face to the name, I keep my gaze between Aleksander and Mal as the former says "Mal. What a surprise" something that sounds like panic in his voice. Now this is interesting, "leave us" he demands of the others in the room, I make for the door but the Darkling holds up a hand stopping me "Salem, you can stay" I brush my hands up and down my arms trying to warm myself up and I say "I would much rather enjoy the party" and I leave swiftly.

However instead of going back to the celebrations I head to my rooms, my mood spoiled and now I feel incredibly il. Alina stops me on my way downstairs and she asks "are you ok?" I nod my head continuing on my way and she follows me "that show was amazing, your powers are incredible" I hum in answer "so I have been told" I make it to the ground floor and my cousin grabs my arm. I look up at where she is standing on the second to last step and she says "whatever I did to offend you I apologise but we can't just stop talking. We are family" gently I pull out of her grasp and say "you haven't offended me Lina, I am just tired. Didn't sleep well last night" and with that I disappear down the hall.

I sit in my room for the next few hours writing in my journal and reading some books I have burrowed from the library, at peace with myself. However no matter how much I try to distract myself from him, Aleksander moves to the forefront of my mind, I keep picturing his face when I was putting on a show for the king and queen. Suddenly my doors burst open and in comes Kirigan, as though sensing my thoughts. I stand and up watch as he stalks over, anger in his eyes, he takes my head in his hands and looks deep in to my eyes "I choose you" he says and bends down to join our lips.

Slowly we make our way to the bed, he turns us around and climbs onto the bed, me on his lap. His hands trail up my sides to cup my face again and when we pull away for air I cock my head and ask "me?" he nods his head, his eyes flitting to my lips, "you" and we fall back onto the bed.

The next morning I wake up to Kirigan sitting on the edge of the bed reading a peace of parchment. We only kissed last night and then afterwards we lay together, him stroking my hair and me tracing lines on his bare chest until we feel asleep, "what's that?" I ask propping myself up on an elbow, my voice thick with sleep, he looks over and smiles softly before moving further onto the bed and handing me the paper. "It is a letter from the officers near the fold" he tells me and I read it a frown forming between my eyebrows, "the Fjerdan's are getting brave" I muse reading the events of the attack, Kirigan pushes his messy hair from his face and starts to caress my cheek "once everything with the Fold is sorted, we can deal with those pesky Fjerdan's together" he says and I smiling leaning down to peck him on the lips "I like when you talk military to me" I tease and he laughs.

We kiss again more deeply this time but are cut short when the doors to my rooms open and someone says "oh Saints's! I am so sorry I didn't realise you were busy" slowly we pull away and look towards the door, there stands Darla look down at the floor red with embarrassment. Smiling I sit up straight and Aleksander moves from the bed, "its fine D, come in" I say and she looks up. Kirigan nods awkwardly and turns to me "I'll see you later then" nodding I watch as he goes, biting my lip. Once he is safely out of hearing distance Darla looks at me before bursting out with laughter, I fall back on my bed and say "don't laugh" she climbs into bed with me and hits me with a pillow "only you would end up sleeping with the Darkling" she teases. I roll my eyes and look up at my friend "we haven't slept to together" I tell her and she just smirks "yet"