Chapter 26

Aleksander pulls his shadows back but I don't move my shield "you have grown stronger" he admires after I single handedly blocked a cut without an amplifier and I retort back "not living with a deranged psychopath does wanders for ones talents" an...

Aleksander pulls his shadows back but I don't move my shield "you have grown stronger" he admires after I single handedly blocked a cut without an amplifier and I retort back "not living with a deranged psychopath does wanders for ones talents" and his lips form a smile "always so cocky" he says gently and I see his gaze fall to Kaz, I see the realisation in his eyes and he turns back to me "he is the one that-" I cut him off and say "I don't know"letting my gaze fall to the boy next to me who is looking up at my shield with an admiring expression. I grit my teeth and try to push back my power, "you had everything. We had everything Salem and you would throw it away for a band of criminals?" he asks and I look between Jesper and Kaz and Inej and Alina and Mal, locking eyes with Aleksander I stand up straight and say "at least they never lied to me, didn't try to use me for their own gain" hurt forms on his face and I lower my shield. He mutters something although I can't hear it and I rush to Kaz and Jesper "are you two ok?"I ask glancing them over, Jesper just looks at me, how face full of awe "yeah we are ok" Kaz answers for the both of them and we share a nod of our heads. No turning back now.

In response to my shield Aleksander pulls the light away from us and with madness in his eyes he says "you stay in the dark" well that's just lovely isn't it. The volcra start growling above us and I summon lightning into my hands not sure how affective it is going to be. Suddenly the beasts attack, swiping Zoya off of her feet I see Inej rush too her, I am too far away to be of any help to them, I would never get there in time. I keep my head up scanning the sky for any volcra readying to attack us on the deck, praying to all of the gods I know that Zoya and Inej will be ok. I don't want to be burying anymore friends.

Glancing back at the boys once, I turn and head into the darkness "Salem what are you doing?" Jesper calls out and I don't answer him, my mind too focused on what I have to do. I am alone in the thick shadows my hands raised, lightning crackling on my skin "come and face me you coward" I shout scanning around me for any sign of the Darkling, I hear footsteps and step back slightly, my hand raised ready to fight. "I don't want to Burt you Salem" a voice sounds in the dark "we were supposed to rule together, side by side. Bring Ravka peace" I scoff and shake my head "a divided Ravka is weaker than a united one Aleksander you and I both know that" I turn every which way to see if I can spot him in the darkness "let Alina take down the Fold and I will stay. Willingly" my heart breaks to say that, to give up my one chance at freedom but to save this country I would do anything maybe even give up my life if I have to.

He steps out of the shadows, facing me, his face a picture of surprise as he asks "you would give up your chance at freedom to save a country that would see you dead?" and I see the curiosity in his eyes. I keep my hands raised and step forward "my country doesn't want me dead" I say taking in a breath "it wants you dead, the person who created the Fold. That is the old you, I can see it in your face Aleksander. You don't want to do this, you just think you have to" I take a step forward and cup his head in my hand "if you destroy the Fold you can show people you aren't what you once were" Slowly he places his hand on top of my own, tears brimming in his eyes "I could have believed that once" he says his voice breaking slightly, "but as long as there are Grisha like us, we will never stop being hunted" and suddenly I am biased back with a punch of shadows, I hit my back on the side of the skiff and wince at the pain my head feeling very light.

I hear someone rushing over to me and there they appear in my vision but I can't make out who they are because my vision has gone blurry, there is commotion happening behind the person but I am too dazed to properly focus, I see two blurry figures leap over the side of the skiff and I try to call out but my head is ringing badly. There is a burst of sunlight and I smile, she must have done it, or attempted to at least and suddenly a wave of proudness comes over me. She isn't the same little half Shu girl I grew up protecting in Keramzin and I am so proud of the woman she has become without any help from anyone else. I feel something touch my hand and I look down to see what I can only imagine is leather gloves "its ok Salem, everything will be fine" a voice soothes and I remember the first thing I thought before getting into this skiff.

I am Salem Starkov and I am afraid.