sixteen.

"YOU'RE GETTING BETTER." Isabella said to the agent in training as she dodged her punch. Quickly throwing her own fist at Maven, who had spent a little too long relishing in the compliment. Maven hadn't realized she was losing until Isabella had thrown her over her shoulder and onto the mat that rested on the ground of the training room. The blonde stood over the 16 year old agent in training, reaching her hand out for Maven to grab with a smirk on her face. She pulled her up, the smile on her face still unchanged. "Rule 6, don't get cocky." Isabella said, taking a sip of water from the bottle that sat a few feet away. "Not fair, I want a rematch." She complained. Isabella laughed. "Later, okay?" She replied with a chuckle, heading for the door.

Maven didn't follow her blonde mentor, though she wanted to. Meanwhile, Isabella walked through the hallways of the Alaskan SHIELD base, the echo other boots hitting the metal floor bouncing on the walls. As she neared her desired destination, a smile creeped up onto her face upon entering the room. "Ah, my favorite grandchild." Eloise spoke roughly from her bed, a wrinkled smile setting on her face. Isabella returned the smile, and sat down beside her bed. "What brings you here so early, child?" She asked. Isabella sighed, not really sure how to start. She had been coming to her grandmother's room every day for the last 6 months, no matter what. It was theriputec, in more ways than one. "You miss her." She observed a few seconds later, earning Isabella's attention.

"What makes you think that?" She asked. Eloise clicked her tongue. "The look on your face." She responded, earning a slight brow raise from Isabella. "What look?" She said. "That one. The look of a lovesick puppy." Isabella chuckled, and shook her head. "A lovesi-" She started, before being cut off by her newest friend, Agent Jeremy Oslo's head peeking through the door. "Hey- sorry to interrupt Dimitri, but um, you have a visitor." He said, a smile on his face. Isabella furrowed her brows, glancing between her grandmother and her friend. Who could possibly be visiting her all the way in Alaska? After all, there were only a few people in the world who knew where she was right now. "I'll visit you later?" Isabella said to her grandmother, who smiled back in her direction.

The blonde nodded at Oslo, who started walking into the direction of the debriefing room with her on his heels. As she neared the room, which was empty for the most part- most of the agents were out on a mission right now. Isabella had been invited, but she opted out. Her eyes widened just a little as she caught a small glimpse of familiar red hair. She would know those features anywhere. The porcelain skin, piercing green eyes, scarlet red hair, it was Natasha Romanoff. As she met those emerald eyes of the black widow, Isabella felt her heart speed up it's usual rythmn. "Nat." She said, her voice just above a whisper. A huge smile spread across both women's faces, and they started towards each other. They automatically took each other into the other's arms, holding on so tight that you'd think they hadn't seen each other in years.

It had only been months, actually. 6 to be exact. Though it had felt like years. As they pulled away from each other, Isabella felt the urge to kiss the widow- but it didn't feel like the right time, or moment for it. Her mind automatically assumed the worst. There couldn't have been any good reason that Nat was here right now. Had someone died? Was it robots again? "What is it?" Isabella asked, trying her best to conceal her anxiousness. Natasha sighed. "Our friends, we're at war with our friends." Isabella's lips parted as if she was going to say something, but no words came out. "We need you to come back. I need you to come back." Natasha said sincerely, and Isabella glanced at her friends, who were standing a few feet away- on the other side of the glass doors.

"I can't-" She tried, but Natasha wouldn't accept that. "Please, Bell. I can't do this without you." She pleaded, earning a slight sigh from the blonde. "When do we leave?" Natasha smiled sadly. "You know I wouldn't come here if it wasn't serious, Isabella. We leave at dawn. I'm gonna crash here tonight." She said, and Isabella nodded. "Well then, I guess we better get you settled."

A few hours later, Isabella had finished up her training with Maven, and was now on her way to visit her grandmother. Her footsteps echoed on the quiet hallways of the SHIELD base. There was barely a sound in the place. The mission had returned an hour ago, but everyone was asleep now. Natasha had gotten some training in, and then retired to her room after dinner. Isabella knocked on the door of Eloise's room, and creaked it open shortly after. She was half expecting her to be asleep, but she was wide awake. The old woman's head slowly tilted toward the doorway, where Isabella stood. "Hey."

"Come on in." She smiled at her, and Isabella entered, closing the door behind her. "I heard you got a visitor today." The old woman croaked. Isabella sat down at the foot of her bed, half smiling at the woman. "Yeah. It was unexpected- but, Grams, you know what this means, right?" She asked, wondering if her grandmother knew that Natasha coming here meant that Isabella would have to go back. She was an avenger, and the blonde shield agent had a world to protect. "Of course I do. I'll be watching you on the news from here." Eloise smiled at her granddaughter. Isabella sighed. "Should I even go? I mean, what if I just stayed here?"

"Well, that's an idea. Though, what about Natasha?" She made a good point. Isabella didn't know what she'd do without Natasha. Her feelings for her somehow only grew in their time apart, but she had no idea how to tell her. "Tell me this, how do you feel about her?" Eloise asked sincerely. Isabella pondered the question for a minute. "She was the one person who always cared. She never let me go through anything alone, and she was the one who kept me from making a mistake I'd have regretted my whole life when I almost killed Loki."

She paused, trying to string together the words on the tip of her tongue, but she came up with nothing. There really wasn't any way she could explain the way she felt about Natasha. Only that when they were together, it felt.. right. It felt like somehow, in someway, she was exactly where she needed to be. Where she belonged. Was that the feeling she thought it was? No, it couldn't be..

But it was.

It definitely was.

"Shit.."
She thought to herself.

I'm in love with Natasha Romanoff.