Focus.

I'm on the edge of writting a pov hunger games story, so comment if any one would be interested :)

My head ached and I stopped to process Maggie's words.

Enid ? Dead. Gabriel ? Dead.

I never cared much for Gabriel but he had been proven a valuable asset to Alexandria, he would stop people from descending into insanity, he would often show up at my door with fruit and tell me to have a nice day which I always did after his appearance. And Enid, she was my best friend. She was one of the only girls my age and we would go hunting together, have sleep overs that reminded us of the school days. She was gone.

It was like my voice just stopped working I tried to scream but couldnt I tried to cry but couldnt. I just fell to my knees and stared at the ground below me in denial shaking my head, Carol bent down besides me hugging me tightly. Even though inside I was in so much pain there deaths didnt effect me? Why didnt it hurt ? Have I become some sort of psycho incapable of emotion ? I told myself it was shock but I didnt feel right.

Clementine and the others where being held in what we call "Custody" when new comers are locked up and we decide if your trust worthy, despite my protest to let them go Daryl said "better safe than sorry" which I understood but still, Clementine didnt want to stay here she wanted to go home and we where keeping her here against her will.

Maggie and Carol led me to the main building sitting me down a bed where I sat stiff as a board. I hadn't talked since I found out Enid was dead just made hand motions and shook my head. Maggie and Carol where like mothers to me and even when I was capable of doing something on my own they would always help. They took off my shoes and packed away my weapons laying me down onto the bed kissing my forehead leaving me with my thoughts.

When the door shut I lay still staring at the ceiling in darkness, the moon was rising and filled the room with shadows. I looked around the room and every shadow I seen turned into some sort of horrible image that ended up with me burying my face under the pillows. My head pounded not being able to focus on one particular event.

Rositas leg would be cut of
Hilltop is gone along with my home
Enid is dead
Gabriel too
Tara is missing
I had met 4 new people today
Y/f my best friend was potentially dead

And Carl. Carl and Rose where alone out there just like I was also potentially dead. Rose was 8 now but she was still to young to be fending for her self which would be a huge burden on Carl. I'm certain Carl could survive out there on his own but taking care of a child ? That's 2x the food 2x the water. Another life to look after. I was scared.

Focus y/n focus.

How are you going to fix this ?

Hilltop and Alexandria are gone and sure we still had Kingdom but its not big enough and we dont have the resources to protect it now that our main income is gone. And where has Tara disappeared to ? Y/f ? Carl and Rose ? How where we going to live like this. And what about this new threat
Saint Milos.

We arnt safe.

Carl's pov :

The immense pain of salt water entering my wounds startled me and woke me up. I was lying next to a river bank with sharp stones under neath me, Rose was at my feet pouring the water from the river into my open wound across my calf. I winced at each drop pulling through because I knew it would help in the long run, my head rolled to the side and I looked at my surroundings. There was a patch of dry blood to my right that was presumably seeping from my skull judging from the bandage and terrible head ache.

I struggled to remeber how I got in this situation. My leg torn open and my skull slightly cracked lying under the hot sun which was cooking me alive. I was on deaths door and I needed fresh water immediately. 'W- wate-r' my voice was raspy and barely noticable but Rose heard and rushed over to a bag grabbing a flask then running back over to me.

She sat down and placed my head on her ting leg using it as a prop while she poured the liquid down my throat, my entire body soaked up the fresh water. My throat began to soften and I was getting my voice back but I was still in no condition to travel.
'Rose what happened'

She finished up the bandage on my leg dabbing away at any blood and proceeded to answer my question

'Once Alexandria went up in flames we ran into the woods trying to loose the bad guys who where chasing us. Eventually they gave up and we wondered around the woods for days then we came across the bad guys building and we stole some supplies but got caught. A few of them chased us and you accidentally ran of that tall cliff'

She pointed right above us and I looked in horror at the 40ft drop thankful I was still alive and none of my vital bones where broken.

'The bad guy looked over the cliff and thought you where dead and left you. He didnt see me sneak away and I came down here. You've been asleep for a day. I thought you where dead Carl. Please don't scare me like that I need you"

Once I heard the pain, fright and innocence in her voice I started to feel like a total asshole and idiot at the same time. What was I thinking! Always check where you walk Carl and dont fall of cliffs especially when your with a young child. I sighed and told myself off then opened my arms which Rose instantly knew was a invitation to hug.

She crawled up besides me and kissed the top of her forehead 'I will always protect you Rose. Me and y/n love yo-' I stopped mid-sentence and leaned forward

'Y/n!'

Date : 29th April 2021