The Bait

"Someone's here!" I yell, getting the attention of the others. I quickly draw my knife and pull back the bookshelf. Quain and Spark are already with me, while Nathan and Metallia are lagging behind. When I finished pulling back the bookshelf, the figure of a person jumped and dashed straight past me. He seemed weaponless.
"Give me that!" I heard Sparks yell as he yanked the knife from my hand. He quickly brought out his own knife and threw them one at a time. The intruder was impaled in the leg. He let out a cry and fell to the ground. He scrambled back up and started limping. Sparks' second knife found its way to the boy's left leg. He collapsed before he could even reach the handle of the library door. The boy wailed and started to crawl.
I couldn't process what was going on. This... isn't happening. This isn't human.
Sparks began leisurely walking up to the wailing boy. The closer Sparks was to him, the harder the boy tried to escape. He really didn't want to die.

Finally, Sparks yanked the boy off of the ground to reveal his face to all of us. I gasped. It was Tyler.

He began dragging Tyler that protested in pathetic sobs, towards us. "Should we kill him?" he didn't sound as if it was a tough decision. It sounded as if he was making sure we were fine with it. My mouth finally remembered its function.

"No!" I said horridly. All eyes turned to me.

Nathan sounded as if he was trying to be gentle about the topic, "Now Annie-".
"We're not going to kill him!"
I could see that everyone's impression of me began to change. Annie isn't able to kill one boy? Perhaps we should get rid of her... Tyler paused his sobs for a moment and began listening. Suddenly, I grew very angry at myself and him. What had he ever done for me? Why was I protecting him?

You're a good person, Annie.

Finnick's words rang back to me in my ear. That's why I was protecting Tyler. Because that was the humane thing to do.

Finnick, what do I do? I desperately ask him in my head. How would Finnick respond? What would be his answer. Despite how annoying and narcissistic he was, he was smarter than he looked.

The same thing you did for Quain. Show him as a benefit. An advantage...

I took a deep breath. "What if instead, we used him as a distraction?"
Sparks raised an eyebrow, "How so?"
"We need Jake and his buddies to move away from the Cornucopia, right? A tribute running away is like a deer to some hunters. They'll chase after him, while we can get the loot. They'll probably have one person protecting the loot, but we can fight one person. Whether or not Tyler lives isn't of our concern."

Everyone seemed to consider this greatly. Tyler looked as if he wasn't sure he should thank me or scream at me. Maybe both.

Quain spoke up, "I think that's a much better idea than just killing him." Everyone seemed to agree. Maybe Annie isn't that bad is what they seemed to think.
Metallica picked up her sword and pointed it at Tyler, "You heard the plan. Get out through the front door. Before we change our minds and kill you ourselves."

Tyler trembled on his legs. The gaping wounds were still there, I knew he wasn't going to get very far before they killed him. He looked back at me hoping to find shelter in my eyes, but all he received was an apologetic smile.

Metallica shoved him through the door and shut it quickly. I climbed atop a bookshelf and watched him run as fast as his bleeding legs could go. Sure enough, Jake did spot him, and all of his friends began chasing after Tyler. As I predicted, one boy was left to watch the loot. I sighed as I climbed down the shelf, "Let's do this."

We exited out of the Library and advanced toward the unsuspecting boy.
•••••••••••••••••••
Hope you enjoyed! I'm sorry I don't update fast enough! I always get caught up in homework and exams. Also, sorry this one is such a short chapter. And to any Fannie shippers, don't worry, you'll see more of Finnick soon!