A Bloody Sword

I wake up with soft, clean sheets crinkled under my nose, instead of a sandy, salty blanket around myself. Oh that's right. I forgot. I'm in the Capitol. What happened yesterday?

Damn it Annie! Your life isn't the only one on the line here! My stomach hurts instantly. Finnick is doing everything he can to make sure one of us come out alive. Not so he can, "retire early", but to prevent more death. And I'm throwing away my life so easily.

A knock on the door disrupts my thoughts, and it's Finnick. He opens the door, and I realize I'm wearing nothing but my under garments. "Annie? It's time for-". Finnick stops when he notices how I'm dressed. He lowers his gaze quickly. "Jeez, try and be more appropriate, Annie." he says. I started to blush, and his face was also red.

"It's not my fault. You entered before I could tell you not to come in. And I thought you were into that sort of thing anyway? Seeing girls..."

"Annie Cresta, was that flirting?" he asks.

I blush even harder. "No!"

He shrugs, "Anyway, I was going to tell you to get dressed and eat. Training starts in an hour."

I nod, "Thank you..."

He starts to leave. "Uh, Finnick!"

"What?"

"Sorry... for uh, yelling yesterday. I understand you were just doing your job. Sorry for being so stubborn. I'm not usually... well it's no excuse, but I'm not usually so hostile."

Finnick smiles, "Hey. You're scared. That's all right. People say and do things differently when they're scared." I nod, and with that, he leaves.

Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, french roast, bacon, fruit, and a billion other things I couldn't name. But I ate them anyway. Finnick sat at the end of the table. "So... Manter. Annie. Some tributes prefer to be privately trained, instead of training with the others. Do you two have any idea if you want to be privately trained or not?"

I sit quietly considering the matter. If I get privately trained, it might give me an advantage. No one would know my strengths or weaknesses. But at the same time, I won't know theirs.

"Finnick, would you suggest us making allies with other tributes?" I ask.

"Yes. Definitely. Teaming with other tributes is a huge advantage. I would just watch my back if I were you when you're near the other tributes. Backstabbing happens too frequently. Literally. But you'll survive longer, and being in District Four makes it easier for you, since you're in a Career district."

Well that settles it. I'm not having private training. "I don't mind training with the others." I tell Finnick. The best place to make allies would be during training.

Finnick notices Manter's silence. "And you?..."

He looks up, "I'm having private training."

Finnick nods, "All right." He continues eating.

I don't know why, but I feel hurt. I was sort of hoping that Manter would want to team with me. But I suppose he still wants no friendship from me. And I don't blame him. He would either have to watch his friend die, or kill his friend.

••••••••••••••••••

Carol, my stylist, takes me to the elevator. "All right. You can go down on your own, I just want to give you good luck."

I smile a little, "I thought I didn't mean anything to you? That I'm just your stepping stool to get to fame?"

"Get your butt to training, stepping stool." she says, with a bit of laugh too.