XLI - Sage

Don't think too much about the song. It's because I really like it. A lot of sad things are coming. I'm sorry in advance.

Excuse all mistakes

2 months later

"He got cancer Sage," Kentrell cried into Sage's shoulder as they both sat on the bed. Sage's eyes sting with tears.

"Sage what did he ever do to deserve this. He just 13 Sage. Sure he a lil hard headed but he never did anybody anything."

Sage patted Kentrell's back, "let it all out."

"My momma done gone already. I can't handle this shit. He supposed to be a rapper or a footballer. He ain't supposed to die yet S," Kentrell's voice broke as tears streamed down his face, "he ain't supposed to die yet."

Sage could not imagine what Kentrell was going through. His mother has passed away some years ago and now his younger brother Kayden, was diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer. The type that almost always showed itself when it was too late.

"I'm not supposed to have to deal with so much yet. They say God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers but I ain't his strongest soldier Sage. I ain't his strongest soldier. I ain't never do anything for this shit to happen to me and my family. I go to school, get the best possible grades I can, never did drugs, never sold drugs nothing. I'm not a part of the stereotype Sage so why," his voice broke with each word and that caused her to cry too.

"But you are his strongest soldier."

"Nah S, I ain't. I really ain't. We could barely keep the lights on last month, where are we gonna get money for chemotherapy. They saying I shouldn't get him chemotherapy Sage, but I ain't listening."

"I can get my parents to help," Sage chipped in.

"Nah I don't want your family to help S," Kentrell shook his head.

"Please don't fight me on this. We have enough money to help you."

"Nah I don't want the help. And before you start it's not pride. I know Adonis used to run with Rico them back in the days, can you put in a word for me?"

"Nah. I ain't setting you up to do that shit. I don't even know if Adonis still does it."

"Please don't fight me on this. Please. I need a lot of money and I need it fast Sage. My brother's life is on the line. I done lost my momma already. I can't lose him too," Kentrell begged.

"I don't know Kentrell," Sage shook her head uneasily.

"Please S," Kentrell clasped his hands.

"I can get you to talk to him but I really hope you don't get involved. You're supposed to go to the NBA Kentrell, you ain't supposed to be doing this shit."

"Kayden is more important than the NBA Sage, I'd rather save his life and ruin mine."

Sage shook her head at Kentrell's logics. She was tempted to ask what happened if he didn't pull through but she refrained.

"I'ma call him," Sage said.

"Can you do it right now please? I don't mean to rush you but my brother is knocked out on a hospital bed. I don't think I can even look after the other three good until my dad comes home."

"I'll help," Sage volunteered.

"Nah S," Kentrell smiled, "you too fine to be burdened with my mess. And you're happy right now too. I can't take the light from your eyes. I done lost mine already.

Sage's face dropped. It was unfair how much he had to go through and he wasn't even 19 yet.

With his head down Sage caught a glimpse of a sad Alijah eavesdropping at her door. He had a great admiration for Kentrell. She just smiled at him and turned back her head to face Kentrell. Alijah took that as his chance to leave.

She picked up her phone, clicked the phone icon and went to recents. Adonis' name was at the top so she clicked. On the second ring he answered.

"Wassup ma?" He asked through the phone. She almost fawned at the sound of his voice but kept it together.

"My friend Kentrell got something to ask you. Can you pull up whenever you're done doing whatever you're doing?"

"Yeah mamas," he smiled through phone. She could imagine him licking his lips.

"My friend Kentrell got something to ask you so don't be thinking anything nasty."

"Yeah I'ma pull up in about an hour. I'm at The Cosmii doing some shit."

As he said Cosmii, Sage rolled her eye. Only thing she thought about when she heard that was Kourtney. Kourtney was supposed to be having her baby soon and she was still pinning it on Adonis.

"Alright I'ma but you when I get there. You want sum' to eat?" Adonis asked.

"Nah," Sage shook her head forgetting he couldn't see her. She didn't have an appetite to eat when she thought about what Kentrell was going through.

"Later Adonis."

•••••
Y'all I'm really funny asf in real life. I wish y'all could know me like that.

 I wish y'all could know me like that

Make sure to vote, comment and share

SinSomeMore

April 26, 2021