XXIX - Sage

We're at 60k reads.

Excuse any mistakes.

"Hello Miss Anders," Sage smiled in response to Marcy, the ex-con single mother of three who worked the front desk

"Miss Anders," Chance exclaimed loudly as he saw Sage exit the elevator. Chance James was one of the three partners at the law firm along with his wife, Mariah James and his best friend, Robert Nelson.

"Hello sir," Sage smiled at him before putting her bag on her desk and walking into his stretched arms.

(There isn't any coronavirus in this book so don't say anything about social distance.) (A/N)

"Hello Sir," she smiled at him. He was barely two inches taller than her.

"Good morning my darling. Did you have breakfast already?" Every morning she saw Chance he would ask the same thing. He had no daughters of his own and over the three weeks she was here, he treated her as if she was his own.

(We skipped some time.)

"Yes I did," she smiled choosing to ignore the the majority of glares she was receiving from the other interns.

"Good. Walk me to my office. I need to ward off evil spirits. Mariah isn't here yet. She went and got her hair done."

(Y'all catch what I did there😏)

Sage laughed at his statement. The evil spirit he was referring to was his assistant Jennifer, Mariah's best friend, who didn't cease the opportunity to rub up on him despite being a middle aged married woman. He said he had told Mariah about it but she had failed to believe him.

"Good morning Mr James," Jennifer chirped happily seeing Chance push the glass doors and enter his office. Her lips fell slightly at the sight of Sage.

"Good morning and you are...," Jennifer trailed off.

"Good morning. I'm Miss Anders," 'as I've told you the yesterday and the day before.'

"Oh yes I keep forgetting," Jennifer laughed shakily.

"You may return to your area now Jennifer. I must speak with my daughter," Chance shooed Jennifer back to her spot.

Upon hearing daughter, Jennifer's head spun around at lightning speed.

"D-Daughter," she spluttered.

"Yeah," Chance smirked at her, "Mariah and I have another child. Our only daughter."

Sage watched the mischievousness in Chance's eyes. It was unclear to her how a man with so much money and power and would find humor in taunting someone as insignificant as Jennifer.

"I'm going back to my area now," Sage said to Chance, "I'll see you at lunch. Mega chicken sandwich from Pablo's with extra everything and no onions, right?"

"Yes Sage," He smiled at her.

Sage exited his office and went to the intern area on the other side of the building. The other interns curled up their upper lip at the sight of her. It was obvious they hated her from how quick Chance got attached to her.

"Bum hoe," Jonathan muttered as he walked passed her, "fucking for a come up. I can't wait for Miss Mariah to find out."

Sage bit back a reply after hearing what Jonathan said. He wasn't worth arguing with. This job was more important to her.

"Good morning interns," Mr McDowell, Sage's pre law teacher, said coming into the room and earning the attention of the interns. He rolled his eyes at her briefly.

It was surprising Sage how he was the one to offer her the internship yet when she took it up he developed a dislike for her. He was junior president of the biggest black owned law firm in the county, yet he was upset at her for being close to the bosses.

"Please finish all tasks that you have remaining from the previous week or days before. We have a big incoming case that will require all hands on deck from all interns."

Sage had finished all her previous work from the days before so she would just be an extra eye for Chance on the rape case against the district attorney. It was going to be a hard one.

"Miss Anders," Sage raised her head at hearing Mr McDowell call her name, "there are some files in my desk for you to read through and I want a final report of all of them on Friday."

Sage scoffed under her breath but nodded and kept a smile on her face. She was the youngest one there and was given the most work. She wasn't going to fold under pressure or fail because that was what they wanted her to do.

When Sage got to his office, Sage hissed her teeth at all the folders on his desk. There was no less than ten folders and they were all from five hundred to a thousand pages. She wasn't sure if she was going to finish by Friday.

When she picked up the files and turned to exit the office, she watched as Jonathan passed Mr McDowell and brushed his fingers against the hand that was at Mr McDowell's side. Mr McDowell didn't even flinch and her mouth dropped in surprise. She was careful to not let either of them know she saw.

For a married man she was disgusted at what she saw with Mr McDowell. Jonathan also needed to evaluate himself before he called anyone a bum hoe.

••••••

Use this as an ask me anything button. Type in questions and I'll answer them in the next chapter.

Lame but I don't even know which direction I want the book to go in. I'm thinking up a few events that will go in it but the troubling part is writing towards that direction. And I'm going to break y'all hearts. I'm just a putting that out there.

Make sure to vote, comment and share.

SinSomeMore

November 23, 2020