VI - Sage

Sage was having a good time with Adonis

Sage was having a good time with Adonis. After their little meeting in the car they'd spent a significant amount of time together going out or simply getting something to eat. He hadn't made a move and neither had she. They were strictly friends and her age stopped the possibility of them getting together.

Sage was currently in her pre law class. That's what she liked about her high school. They offered a pre law class. The courses were limited and only a small amount of students could join upon reaching their junior or senior year. It was the only pre law class in her high school and was taught by Mr Thomas McDowell, the junior president of James, James & Nelson, a growing black owned law firm.

"Last question of the day students," Mr McDowell said flipping through some papers which he had brought with him.

"A pet breeder is in the business of breeding calves at his cattle ranch where he has a stable of prolific cows who are very fertile. The newborn calves need constant attention and care. One day one of the employees inadvertently leaves the fence door open and a newly born calf breaks free and goes to his neighbor's land. The breeder went to the neighbor's land to retrieve the calf for its safety and to make sure it was unharmed. However, he was arrested on a trespass charge after entering the land. The breeder appealed. Will the court dismiss the charge?"

Mr McDowell waited for the students to finish writing.

"That was a sample bar question that I had just read. It is a torts question. I'm about to read the possible answer options to you. Make sure to carefully read through the question that I've given and pick the most appropriate answer."

"Answer A - Yes, because he had a limited privilege to enter the land to prevent harm to his chattel. Answer B - Yes, because the tender pet doctrine allows temporary entry to receive baby animals. Answer C - No, because the neighbor had a right to keep any living chattels that crossed onto his land. Answer D - No, because his status as a breeder made him unqualified for a limited license," he waited for the children to finish writing again.

"Kayla," he pointed on a girl to the front, "which is the answer?"

Kayla was a bright girl in school. She was tall and slim, always had her hair neat, wore braces and glasses and was very pretty. She had a 3.7 GPA and was by far Sage's closest competition in this class.

"I'd go with D. I think D is the only possible answer."

"Incorrect," Mr McDowell chirped, "you shouldn't be thinking, you should be knowing. D is not the answer. A is."

"Sage," he said making Sage raise her eyes to meet his, "would you like to tell me why A is the answer?"

"A is the correct answer because an exception exists under Restatement 345 for one who enters another's land under a public or private privilege. Under Restatement 198, to which one has the right of immediate possession, and which went on the land without consent. Under Restatement 197 a person "is privileged to enter or remain on land in the possession of another if it is or reasonably appears to prevent serious harm to chattels or to save land.""

"Excellent Miss Anders," Mr McDowell smiled, "excellent. I'd like to speak to you when this class is over."

"As your classmate Sage pointed out," Mr McDowell began, "that is exactly the reason. I asked all of you to read the Restatement two weeks ago and it seems like she's the only one who did so."

Sage could see Kayla frowning at her. She strived to be the best in class. To be the teacher's pet and to someone as prominent as Thomas McDowell, she could only hope to be the best in his eyes.

"Now for next week, I need all of you to read up on the People of the State of California v Orenthal James Simpson case. Hopefully on Monday all of you will know this case like the back of your hands and we'll be able to go in depth with our understanding of it."

The bell rang. All of the students rushed out. Sage remained behind so she could speak to Mr McDowell.

Mr McDowell a lanky man. He had a swimmer's body. He was 6'1" and dark skinned. He was an okay looking guy. He wore glasses which made him look slightly older than his thirty something years.

"Sage," Mr McDowell sat behind the teacher's desk, "I'm always amazed by you in this class. You are by far the best student. I see potential in you. You are on the path of becoming someone great. I would like to offer you a summer internship at James, James & Nelson. Most of our interns are normally enrolled in college. You'd be the youngest there. I see greatness in you Miss Anders and I hope to help you become the greatest you can ever be."

Sage's mouth dropped in shock. Thomas McDowell was offering her an internship at James, James & Nelson. James, James & Nelson was a rising black owned firm in the Los Angeles County. They had won so many high profile cases and working with them would be an honor.

"Think about it Miss Anders. Speak to your parents and give me an answer by Monday. I hope you choose correctly."

Sage was not going to let this opportunity pass her by. She'd speak to her parents about joining their summer internship. It was early May and she'd finish her junior year the 31st. She was excited.

•••••••••

I'm starting a little Q&A section at the end of each chapter. Answer a few questions while you're here.

What is your first name?

Make sure to vote, comment and share.

SinSomeMore

August 1, 2020