Chapter 32

I slide in the magazine of the gun, then tucking it in the pockets of my leggings. I take an extra one for backup, placing it in between my waistband and stomach, the cool metal tingling on my skin.

I take a quick peek at my wristwatch. It's 5:31. Hypothetically, I should have enough time to kick butt and to make it in time for my date with Noah.

It's okay, I can do this.

My insides get slightly nauseous at the thought of having to go back to the bar, back to the place surrounded by Black Markers, but I have to go there.

I just have to. I need to settle the urge to punch someone, now that it's confirmed that The Black Marker is what came to attack me that night.

No one can hurt me and get away with it... no-one. Especially if that same person is the reason why my best friend is dead.

I reach for Noah's leather jacket and slide my arms in it, securing it around my upper body.

Out of nowhere, Jaya appears.

"Please take me with you, Hals," she begs, staring at me with desperate eyes.

I scowl at her before responding.

"No, I'm going for work, and as we discussed earlier, you're not involving yourself with me. It's dangerous," I repeat, feeling the same conversation from earlier resurface itself.

"I live for danger," she argues, crossing her arms.

"Yeah, well I don't care," I spit harshly, seeing the hurt in her eyes.

Trying my best to ignore it, I throw my hair in a high ponytail, securing it with a hair tie. I can't let my hair get in between a messy fight, now can I?

I take a quick peek at myself in the mirror, feeling Jaya's gaze upon me, but I continue looking at my hair, making sure that no hair is out of place. I soak in my outfit, appreciating how good I look in Noah's jacket and a pair of black leggings.

Finally, I let out a sigh and force my feet towards the door. My hands grab the doorknob, and I feel Jaya's hand on my shoulder.

"Please be careful," she presses urgently, worry lined in her voice. I force a mocking smile out of myself and turn to her.

"When am I not?" I ask, a smile creeping on her lips before she rolls her eyes.

"Just be safe," she urges, wrapping her arms around me for a hug. I accept the hug, patting her back softly, but at the first sign of awkwardness, I pull away, turning to the door, before looking back at her.

"If Noah gets here before me, tell him I'll be home," I say before slamming the door behind me, walking towards the danger that calls my name.

A/N: Short chapter, but tell me you aren't excited for a bit of Hally/Alina's ass-kicking. It's going to be soooo fun. Stay tuned, and don't forget to VOTE, VOTE, VOTE if you're rooting for Hally 🥳