Chapter 35

I hike along the deserted sidewalk, clinging to my left arm, cursing every time my feet forget how to walk, tripping over pebbles.

I probably should've taken a cab home, but I didn't feel like answering any questions about my current physical condition. I don't need a mirror to know that I look like hell. I can imagine parts of my face swollen, bruised with snippets of blood dripping.

When I realize that I'm about three blocks away from my apartment, and pull out my phone with my good arm, wincing as my left arm hangs against my side. Opening the texts from before, with the threats, I click on the picture of Jaya, zooming in to figure out the angle it was being taken from.

Rage finds its way to me as I think about having my little sister, monitored, and being held at gunpoint, for my actions.

My only hope is that she's with Noah, and he's protecting her. If not, I hope that she's protecting herself, using everything I've taught her.

I note that the picture is taken from the angle where a majority of the apartment is showing. The side of the living room couch is visible, along with my entire kitchen.

Judging by that, the photographer must be positioned across from The Chelsea, but next to Whole Foods. And the photo seems to be a straight shot, with a bit of zoom to capture a clear picture of Jaya.

Which meant that they are more than likely to be on the same level as Jaya. So, that meant... that they could be on the eleventh floor (like my apartment), in whatever building was across from the apartment.

I shove the phone back in my pocket, picking up my pace, suddenly forgetting about my shoulder pain. The only thing I can think of right now is Jaya and her stalkers. And the sudden need to protect her with everything I have.

***

When I reach the building, I search for its door upstairs, and as soon as I find it, and step through it, the smell of decayed animals fills the air. My nose scrunches at the horrifying stench, and I slide my mask up to my nose, blocking a majority of the stink.

My eyes search the dark hallway, and it looks deserted, filled with cartons, and boxes with layers of dust sitting on top.

Putting my sleeve against the wall, I use the wall as support as I climb over the rubble spread out against the floor. When I manage to find a staircase, I use the same sleeve to cling onto the railing, and slowly make my way up to the eleventh floor, keeping an ear out for any sounds other than mine.

But there aren't any.

Just the clanking of my footsteps against the rickety stairs.

By the time I reach the eleventh floor, my chest is gasping for air, and I can feel beads of sweat collect on my forehead.

I take a couple of seconds to catch my breath, and by the time I feel myself stalling, I tiptoe to the end of the building, heading towards the room is in the corner closest to my apartment.

I quietly pull out my gun from my pocket, turning off the safety, holding it steadily in front of me. I put my ear to the last door, trying to find a source of humanity, voices, or anything that led me to believe that I was not alone.

After several seconds of me leaning against the door, I hear muffling noises along with grunting sounds.

I try to lean in closer, to hear the voices.

"You sure we have to kill this bitch? She's hot," I husky male voice calls out.

"Don't be dumb, if the boss thinks we need to kill her, we kill her. She's a liability to someone he's targeting," the other male voice responds, clearly annoyed. Curiosity gets the best of me, and I decide to continue to listen to their conversation.