Chapter 37

Instantly as my eyes open, the soaring pain from last night comes rushing back. I turn in bed, wincing before I realize that I'm laying on my left shoulder.

Dumbass.

I turn to lean on my other shoulder but am instantly met with the hardness of muscle. I place my hands in front of me, pushing against the muscle as my eyes struggle to stay open. In response, I get a groan, and an arm comes around me, pulling me close to the wall of muscle.

My body screams.

I let out an unintentional whimper, and almost instantly the arm releases me, and I feel a palm on my cheek, forcing my eyes open.

"I'm sorry, are you okay?" Noah asks, hurt and worry in his eyes.

My throat dry, I nod, pushing myself up in a sitting position, with slight help from Noah. My head swivels back in forth, searching for the splint, and see it sitting on the ground on Noah's bedside.

Noah follows my gaze, and the realization hits him, and he reaches for the splint. No further instruction is needed as he swerves to my left side, adjusting, and putting on the splint.

His movements are careful and smooth. He seems to know every strap and every velcro from the back of his head.

Almost as if he's done this before.

By the time he's done, my shoulder feels snug with the help of the splint, but the pain is still there. Ignoring Noah's signs of protest, I manage to get up from the bed and attempt to walk towards the kitchen without stumbling.

But my limbs ache, and they faux ti reach the kitchen without support from the walls.

Stupid injuries.

I pull open all the drawers, searching for something to help with the pain. I come across a bottle of Tylenol and pop a pill down my throat.

That better help.

When I turn around, I find Noah's hands on my waist, stabilizing me before I can fall. When I avoid his eyes, he places his fingers underneath my chin, lifting it to force my eyes on him.

"How did this happen to you?" he asks concerningly, struggling to keep his anger tucked away.

How can I tell him?

I can't.

Because of my job, and because he could've been the one directing those attacks against me. It's too risky. My insides protest, but my gut agrees with me, telling me to keep last night's whereabouts a secret.

It's for the best.

I try to push away, but as expected, my strength fails me, and I'm unable to move. Instead, I move my eyes away from his face, focusing everywhere, but on him.

He catches my wondering eyes, and he refocuses their gaze on him.

"Love," he says ever so desperately. My heart seems to melt at the sight of him crumbling, and for the slightest second, I feel my face soften, wanting to tell him everything about last night.

But I can't. I won't.

"Noah," I start, looking up at him, trying to find the words to spill out of my mouth. Luckily my head tends to move faster than my mouth, and within seconds it's scanning the room for someone.

"Where's Jaya?" I ask in both curiosity and panic. My heart picks up its pace, breathing fastening in a way that's anything but pleasant.

He returns my gaze to him, brushing his fingers along my cheek, trying to calm me down.