Five

Tony Pov

So I was picking Daisy up from school, as you do when you have a child at school, (I don't know how else to describe it to you here), the weather wasn't too bad for picking her in either, (what a very British thing to point out), it was weird for me as I hadn't picked Daisy up before, but I didn't want to make it weird, as I was going to be picking up Daisy for pretty much the rest of primary school.

Daisy came out of school a bit happier than she went in, (though I could tell that she wasn't her usual happy self, but it wasn't surprising with the whole ordeal with her Mum), though her being slightly happier did make me feel a bit better about making her go to school that day.

"Hey Baby"
"Hi Daddy"
"How was school today?"
"It was ok, I drew you"
"You did?"
"Yes I did, look!"

So Daisy showed me the picture that she drew, and honestly it was beautiful, did it look like me?, no not really, but it was going on the fridge anyway because my Baby made that, (and she got my glasses right, which were not the easiest thing to draw).

"It's beautiful Sweetheart"
"It is?"
"Yeah Baby, it is, we're going to put it on the fridge when we get home"

So we started to walk home, (I have never and will never drive in London as the traffic in London is fucking mayhem), and it was a relatively nice day out for September, (fuck's sake Tony, that's your second weather point already),

"Daddy"
"Yeah Baby"
"Can we have Spaghetti for dinner please?"
"Sure we can Darling"

I was just grateful that Daisy actually wanted to eat, since she hadn't been wanting to eat full meals, she just picked at her food, (which had me worried to death but I couldn't force her to eat as that would make her have an unhealthy relationship with food).

Anyway we got home, and I made us both dinner while Daisy did her homework, (yes, 5 year olds have homework), so we had dinner, I gave Daisy a bath, and then I put Daisy to bed, (as she really needed her sleep).

"Daddy"
"Yeah Baby"
"Is everything ok?"
"It will be Sweetheart, (kisses forehead), right now we're just getting used to our new norm, ok"
"Ok, Night Night Daddy"
"Good night Sweetheart, I love you"
"I love you too Daddy"

I turn to leave Daisy's room, (as you do), when she grabbed my hand, (which did surprise me a little but what can ya do here?), I knew something was up though as she looked scared, and that just didn't sit right with me.

"Hey Baby, what's wrong?"
"What if I have a nightmare?"
"I'll be in my room, marking some stuff, ok?"
"Ok"
"(Kisses temple), Good night Darling"
"Night night Daddy, I love you"
"I love you too Baby, don't let the bedbugs bite"
"But I can't tell them not to bite me though Daddy"
"I guess you're right Darling,

So I went and started some marking, (yes, it's as boring as it sounds), hoping that Daisy would get a proper night's sleep, knowing that it probably won't happen, (her sleep hasn't been great since her Mum left).

At about half 11 at night, while I was finishing off the marking I had to do, when there was a scream, which could only be Daisy, so I ran to Daisy's room, and by the time I got there Daisy was sobbing, so I did the only thing I knew to do, which was to try to hold and comfort her.

"Shh shh shh, it's ok Baby, you're ok, we're ok"

I kept spitting out mantras like my life depended on it, (though it did feel like it was, but that just might be me having Dad instincts or something), this did seem to calm Daisy down a bit, but she was still looked really scared, so I figured that it was best to have her sleep with me that night.

"Do you want to sleep in Daddy's bed?"
"Yeah"
"Ok Baby, let's get you some water first though, ok"
"Ok"

So I went down the stairs and into the kitchen so that Daisy could have a glass of water, went back up the stairs so that Daisy could actually go back to sleep, but it wasn't as simple as I just put it, (that would've been too easy).

"Daddy"
"Yeah Baby"
"What if the monsters come back?"
"They're scared of Daddies"
"What if one isn't scared of Daddies?"
"They'd still have to get past me Darling"
"Hmm, I guess so, ok, night night Daddy"
"Good night Sweetheart"
"I love you"
"I love you too Baby"