Fifteen

Tony Pov

So Mum came around, (as she has a want to do), and I made us all dinner, much to my Mother's dismay here, since she didn't trust my cooking at all, (not that her cooking was actually any better than mine but I wasn't going to stir the pot here, you know), though it could've easily been a reason for her to get to mother someone again, (I wouldn't have been surprised if that was the case here).

"Why don't you let me cook-"
"You've just driven from Manchester Mum-"
"I know that Anthony, as I drove it-"
"Plus I'm pretty sure it's considered rude to make your guests cook in your house when you've invited them, you know"
"Well yes, but Anthony-"
"Mum, it's ok, I have it"

Daisy then came into the kitchen, she looked a little bit confused about the fact that my Mum was there but was happy nevertheless, though she could've woken up from a nap for all I know, (she did take naps a lot after school sometimes).

"Hey Nanny"
"Hey Sweetheart, how's school?"
"Meh, it was school"

Yeah, that was not what I was expecting Daisy to say, as she really hated school at that age, (like she really hated school), you know, but then I think, (well if I'm remembering it correctly that is), that this was literally just before her 'hate is a very strong word' phase, so there's that to think about.

"Daddy"
"Yeah Baby"
"What's for dinner?"
"Mac'n'cheese, is that ok?"
"Ooh"
"(Chuckles), That sounds like you approve"
"Yeah"
"Have you finished your homework?"
"Yes I have Daddy"
"That's good, can you go and wash your face and hands for me please?"
"I'm on it Daddy"
"Thank you"

So Daisy ran up the stairs as fast as she could, (as five year olds have a tendency to do here, you know), my Mother had a knowing smile on her face, (though having 7 children will do that), though it wasn't necessary very obvious if you weren't looking for it.

"You're going to miss the enthusiasm when she's older Tony"
"Don't I know it"
"You could have more children Tony?"
"How do I do that Mum, I can barely look after the child I have"
"Nonsense Darling, you're a great Dad, I think that you're too hard on yourself sometimes"
"(Sighs), I just want what's best for her Mum, and I don't know if I am what's best for her"
"I get that Darling, I really do, but we both also know that you doubt yourself as a parent because I wasn't always the best Mum for any of you, especially not when it came to your Dad"

I was not ready for that statement , like I knew that she knew Dad wasn't the best, (like all of her children knew this), but I wasn't expecting her to admit that out loud, but I wasn't going to say that out loud, as I knew that it took a lot to do as such.

"It's not like you had much choice with 7 of us to feed"
"I would ask when you got so wise, but I actually think that I know why that happened"
"But I don't feel very wise"
"Well nobody does Darling, that just comes with the territory"

Still felt a bit shocked about everything but I wasn't going to question it too much, as that might've started an argument and I wasn't really in the right mindset for an argument to ensue, (plus arguing not the best way to get your point across).

Anyway, we ate dinner together and it felt nice, even if it was just Mac'n'cheese we had, (though I was quite proud of myself that I didn't fuck in the Mac'n'cheese, I'm not gonna lie), we didn't talk much during our meal but it was still nice as it was time spent together, (wow I just sounded like my mother).

It was after dinner, (wow so descriptive Tony, just wow), so that meant that Daisy was getting ready to go to bed, which meant that Mum and I were alone, which meant that Mum was gonna ask about how I was doing, because that was just how Mum was.

"How are you feeling Darling?"
"Meh, I've been worse, Daisy's still having those nightmares most nights, I don't know what else I can do"
"(Sighs), Darling there's not much else that you can do other than to tell her that everything's going to be ok"
"Yeah but sometimes it feels like I'm lying to her Mum"
"You're not lying to her, you're just twisting the truth a bit"
"Mum that's basically lying"
"Ok, maybe it is now, but it'll pass and it'll become true"
"Yeah I guess so, thank Mum"
"Anytime Darling, anytime"