Eighteen

Tony Pov

It was about half past 8 in the morning, Daisy was still asleep, so yes, I called in sick, (as we both already knew), as there was no use in arguing with my Mum about it as she was determined to drive down from Manchester, (I'm still not sure how she managed to convince me, but I'm grateful that she did), I know that theoretically I didn't have to listen to her about staying off work for the day, but if I'm being honest here, I knew that I needed it, even if I didn't want to see it.

There was a knock on the front door, (as you do I guess), which woke Daisy up, so I carried Daisy down the stairs to the front door, (I felt safer with that after the panic attack that happened 3 O'clock that morning), (yes, I know that I wasn't necessarily safer, but it stopped me from having yet another panic attack, so there's that), Daisy didn't look very awake but she was, even if she was barely awake.

"Daddy"
"Yes Baby"
"Are we not going to school today?"
"No no Baby, (kisses temple), not today"
"But it's Friday today Daddy"
"I know that Darling"
"Oh, is it because your breathing went all fast last night?"
"Yeah Baby"
"Ok"

I then opened the front door and there was my Mum, not that I was surprised by her being there, but she was slightly earlier than I was expecting her to be, (though I guess that she wanted to make sure I wasn't at work), if Daisy was surprised that my Mum was there, she didn't say anything about it, (even with being as sleepy as she was, she would've said something), so I guess that she wasn't too surprised about Mum being at the front door.

"Hey Mum"
"Hey Darling, how are you feeling now?"
"Meh, I've been better but I've also been worse so there's that"
"Hi Nanny"
"Hi Sweetheart, how are you?"
"I'm ok Nanny, Daddy, I need to go to the loo"
"Ok Baby, I'll let you down"

So Daisy went back upstairs, which meant that Mum and I were left alone to talk about shit, which I was not looking forward to, ya know, as that meant that I had to talk about my feelings and I'm shit at that, (though I was trying to be better at talking about my feelings for Daisy's sake here).

"So now that we don't have little ears around, can you pinpoint why your panic attack started?"
"I'm struggling with the mortgage-"
"Sell the house and move back to Manchester, we both know that your divorce with Jen was smooth sailing as she wanted nothing from it-"
"You're not wrong about that, (voice crack) but I don't think that uprooting Daisy right now would be a good idea-"
"But what else can you do Darling, stay here and have the bank take your house because you can't pay the mortgage?"
"If I do it, I have to wait until the summer holidays"
"You've not got too much longer until you can't"
"(Sighs), I know that Mum"

I heard Daisy come back down the stairs, so I guess that we were done with the really serious talk for now, (even if it made me feel less alone), she did seem a bit more awake, Daisy then climbed on me, (though I did need some clinginess I'm not gonna lie here).

"Hey Baby"
"Hi Daddy"
"You ok?"
"Yeah I'm ok, what about you Daddy?"
"I'm ok now Darling"
"You sure about that?"
"Yeah Baby, I'm sure"
"Ok then, I believe you Daddy"

I got the feeling that she wasn't really convinced that I was ok, (though that could've been me projecting here), but there wasn't much that I could say or do to ease that for her, so I just hugged her a bit tighter, as I didn't think that I could held it together if I actually said anything then, and I know that wasn't the most healthy response for my mental health here, but I also didn't want Daisy to me like I was when I was having that panic attack.

"Daddy"
"Yeah Baby"
"Could we have hot chocolate please?"
"Sure we can Sweetheart"
"With marshmallows?"
"(Chuckles), Yeah Baby, with all the marshmallows you want"
"That's a lot of marshmallows Daddy"
"(Snorts), I know Darling, (kisses cheek), but I thought that we needed all the marshmallows"

Yes, I know that it isn't really a healthy to eat your feelings, (well drink in this case), but I was also trying to not think about everything that was going wrong, (which again, isn't healthy at all, but I also didn't want to be dwelling on it for the whole day either), though it was a family activity and we all needed that.