Twenty

Tony Pov

It was the day that we were moving to Manchester, it was hot and muggy, (which meant that riding a car for hours on end were going to even more hell than I expected it to be anyway).

We were about halfway to Manchester by car, though I was regretting the decision to drive to Manchester rather than taking a train there, (though maybe going on a train wasn't much better here), but I was kind of glad that we were at least half way there, as that meant that I couldn't suggest going back to London.

"Daddy"
"Yeah Baby"
"How long is it until we get to the new house?"
"We're still a couple of hours away Honey"
"Ok Daddy"

I couldn't even say that Daisy was asking me 'are we there yet?' every 5 minutes, because she wasn't, actually she had only asked a couple of times, (which was weird for a 5 year old, but I wasn't gonna question it), but it was driving in the heat that was killing me, (not literally, but it felt that way), (this was also before our summers tried to melt us to death).

At some point Daisy had fallen asleep, which I left her to do for a while as she hadn't really slept the night before, (I didn't know wether it was excitement or not but it was something alright).

20 minutes after I realised that Daisy was asleep, well she woke up again, (not that she looked very awake but she was awake), and she looked so confused and I did feel awful about that fact, (I don't know why that was, it just was).

"Hey Baby, how did you sleep?"
"I was asleep?"
"Yeah Baby, you were, but that's ok"
"M not sure how I slept though Daddy"
"That's ok Sweetheart, we're not too far from the services if you need to use the bathroom"
"I don't want to go to the bathroom by myself"
"You won't be by yourself Sweetheart, Aunt Opal will be with you"
"But she's not here with us Daddy"
"She's in the car behind us"
"Oh ok"

So we got to the motorway services about 5 minutes later, Daisy still didn't really look awake but I think that it was more to do with not sleeping properly the night before rather than her waking up from her nap, (though that did probably contribute to her tiredness here).

"Hey Opal, she'll need help-"
"I know how taking a 5 year old to the loo works Tony"
"Yeah?, how's that then Smart arse?"
"I've taken my God children to the loo before"
"(Snorts), You say that like Rebecca didn't have a checklist made for you about what you needed to do before she even let you do that for them"

I was mostly joking to try and ease my anxiety a bit, as I haven't really had to navigate taking Daisy to the bathroom since Jen left, as we hadn't really gone on long journeys, (I hate travelling long distances with a burning passion), but apparently that answer wasn't a joke.

"She actually did have one for me"
"Well there you go then Opal, though I don't blame her-"
"She had a checklist for me because she's autistic Tony, not because I'm irresponsible"
"Whatever helps you sleep at night Opal"
"Fuck off Tony"
"Like that's gonna prove your point"

Opal just rolled her eyes at me, (as little sisters tend to do though), but she took Daisy to the loo and Daisy did seem ok afterwards, so she must've done something right here, (that or it was pure luck on her behalf).

Anyway, Opal did fine with taking Daisy to the bathroom, was I anxious as shit?, of fucking course I was, but it was just something that I had to learn to deal with here as I was a single Dad to a little girl, as I couldn't exactly bring Daisy into the Men's bathroom with me, but I also couldn't walk into the Woman's bathroom, ya know.

We continued to drive towards Manchester, (as that's where we were moving to), Opal was actually keeping up with us, so I wasn't actually too worried about losing her at this point in time, (to be fair to Opal here, she had actually gotten better at directions in general than she used to be), it wasn't actually too full of traffic, (though that could have been because it was boiling that day).

"Daddy"
"Yeah Baby"
"Have we got long left in the car?"
"We've got a couple of hours yet Sweetheart"
"Oh, ok, 'm feel tired Daddy"
"Yeah?"
"Yeah"
"Ok Baby, you have a nap and I'll wake you up for some lunch, ok"
"Ok Daddy, I love you"
"I love you too Darling, go to sleep now"