2. The penny drops

A couple of weeks had passed since Joey's first experience in Abu Dhabi and she had left her London house early in the morning to travel to France for her first official FIA party. Every year, at the end of the championship, the FIA would host an award ceremony in a different location. The choice of France meant Joey could avoid flying and instead use the Eurostar and reach Paris more comfortably than she would have on an economy class plane seat.

After a short day of sightseeing, Joey found herself getting ready for the party. She had curled her long ginger hair and fixed some of it in an updo; her freckles were covered by a thin layer of make-up with green eyeshadow to match her dark green maxi dress.

A black pair of platform heels and a black clutch completed her look.

Joey knew that Formula1 parties were all about the glamour, so she had tried to make more of an effort.

She turned the volume of her music up, just before throwing her lipstick and a pocket mirror in her bag.

'Just another hollow hotel room

Another plane on a rainy afternoon

That's not what got me going on

A lot of demons on my mind

An empty bottle and a big fat fucking line

Show me something to turn me on'

She hummed along to the song, filling up a glass of white wine from the bottle the FIA had made sure she'd get before the beginning of the night.

She heard a knock on the door and waddled over, curious as to whom it was.

Becky's smiley face could be seen in the peephole. Joey opened the door and let her in.

'Wow, you look nice!' Becky stated. 'So, just here to discuss a couple of things'

'Wine? I always need wine for PR talk' she offered.

Becky nodded, trying to look unimpressed with Joey.

'Thanks' she said, grabbing the glass Joey was giving her. 'So, how comfortable are you on stage?'

'My dad always said if my racing career failed I could become a stand-up comedian' she replied. 'Will I be allowed to make jokes?'

'Ehm... sure. Just not a whole gig, maybe' Becky said. 'Good. OK. Now... I know you've just finished getting ready. But are you OK having to wear this again?' Becky got the "Sarah" wig out of a bag.

'God's sakes. It took me ages to do my hair.' she huffed.

'We'll get someone to fix your hair afterwards'

'Sure, OK.I mean, can I really say no?' she asked.

'Not really' Becky shrugged, trying to contain her amusement.

'I hate how much you're loving this' Joey groaned, taking a large sip of wine out of her glass before fixing the wig onto her hair helping herself with a mirror.

Becky had explained to her she'd be explaining more about the programme to the guests and then Joey would take the stage for a brief introduction consisting of a montage of the videos they had taken with her the previous week that had been collated into a presentation.

When it was time for her to walk on stage, Joey took another large sip of her drink and slowly got up.

'So passing the stage onto our newest recruit for the "women for the FIA" project.' she heard Becky state. The light moved onto Joey as she slowly walked on stage. She thanked her lucky star she couldn't really see much through it or she knew she would have panicked.