41. Family time

Joey groaned, as she was awoken by excruciating pain once more. A couple of days had passed since her accident at Hockenheim. She had stayed at the paddock, cheering on her team and Seb on the Sunday, and then the couple had decided to spend some time in Heppenheim with Seb's family before Joey would start joining Seb travelling to his next races.

Joey lifted herself up from the bed, trying to not wake the sleeping German next to her, before going to the kitchen downstairs to get some more painkillers in the hope she would be able to return to sleep.

She swallowed a couple of pills, aided by a bit of water. The grim taste of the medicine wasn't getting any easier to deal with and Joey couldn't stop herself from wincing as she swallowed. It was going to be a long few weeks of wearing a cast on her dominant arm and basically having to learn how to do everything again. Sure, she was glad Seb was going to be around to help her if she needed, but she was also worried about her racing future. 8 weeks was a long time to be off and it would also mean she would miss out on the remainder of the championship.

She thought back to the accident and groaned once more. What a stupid move from Leon and all because he couldn't stand her being in first, in the team where she had replaced him.

She took a seat at the kitchen table and held her face in her hand, it had been a long time coming but finally tears started to stream down her face.

'babe, are you ok? Why are you crying?' came the sleepy voice of Seb. 'Jo?' he rested her hand on her shoulder.

'I'm fucking done with this cast already. I'm fucking done with the pain already' she cried. 'i just want to go back to normal'

'I know, baby, it's hard' Seb wrapped his arm around her. 'but I'm here with you every step of the way'

'racing is all I know how to do, Seb. What am I going to do now?'

'you're going to take some time off to heal and then get back to it and kick some butts, that's what you're going to do' he said, simply. 'come back to bed, we can go for a walk tomorrow to get you some distraction. We don't have to be at my parents' until lunch time'

'ok' Joey eventually agreed, getting up. Seb pulled her into a hug and kissed her forehead.

'I love you' he said, in a reassuring tone.

~•~•~•

A few hours later, Joey and Seb were walking through the streets of Heppenheim, hand in hand. Joey had gotten used to the amount of attention her partner got when they were out and about, but nothing compared to the attention he got in his hometown. That day felt different, however. Sebastian seemed a little on edge, anything seemed to make him jump, and he had been compulsively patting the pocket of his shorts with his free hand.

'can we grab a coffee?' Joey asked, pointing at a small café in the main square.

'of course, and if you're up to it, I want to show you a little place not far from here'

'i walk with my legs, not my broken arm' Joey chuckled. 'i just need caffeine, I haven't really slept'

Seb nodded. Joey approached the smiling lady behind the counter and started making her order.

'I will have a very large coffee, please. Seb, anything?' she asked, in German. The driver shook his head, giving her a smile. He never told her how much sexier she looked when she spoke his native tongue.

'maybe a pastry to take away too? Actually I'll have a Spritzkuchen' Joey continued. 'amazing, thank you' she gave the woman some cash, placing the change into the tip jar.