22. Ireland

Joey had just arrived outside Liam's house. After a disappointing ending in Monza, for Seb, she had unwillingly left the German's rented villa early in the morning and had flown to Dublin to finally meet up with her best friend. He had organised for her to stay with him for a night of games and drinks with Kat and Will, who lived not far from his house. Joey eagerly knocked on the door and, as soon as Liam opened the door, she jumped to hug him tightly against her body.

'You absolute moron, you' she said, in between sobs. 'You gave me such a big scare, you know'

'Woah, woah. You're in a relationship now, honey. I don't want F1 stars come knocking my door down and punching my pretty face in'

'Seb is lovely, he wouldn't punch you. He would probably look at you disapprovingly, but he would never resort to violence' Joey chuckled. 'Speak of the devil' her phone buzzed with a call. 'Mind if I take this?'

'Of course not'

'Hey, Seb. All good?... yeah, I literally just got here.' She smiled looking at Liam who was pointing at her phone and waving. 'I guess my mime friend wants to say hi... Seb says hi back' she told Liam. 'Yeah, nothing fancy. Just a few drinks and games with the guys... I know! He is an alright PT, or maybe you just need to get Antti to loosen up a little' she chuckled. 'Alright, yeah... hope you have a good week in Maranello... I love you too, speak later' she pressed the red button on her screen and turned back to her friend who was staring at her with his mouth wide open.

'What?! Close that mouth or you're gonna get some flies in there'

'YOU USED THE L WORD. YOU DON'T USE THE L WORD. I DON'T THINK YOU EVER EVEN TOLD ME YOU LOVED ME.' He blurted out.

'I tell my dad, my grandad and Matt I love them all the time. And I told you every single day since your accident' she shrugged.

'But... he... Sebastian! You're in love? Oh, come here!' He pulled her into a hug, again. 'I knew you seemed happier, but in love?! I need to hear it all.'

Joey and Liam spent most of their day catching up on what they had missed in each other's lives. By late afternoon they were joined by the rest of the crew. The four of them had been friends since they could remember. Even when Joey had moved away, they had stayed in contact and had spent most of their summers together, be it in her grandad's country home or surfing on the coast, the girl couldn't have asked for a closer group of friends. Even after months of not seeing each other, their relationship was unscathed. She never had to try hard with them, she never needed to hide her true self. They were her safety net and the people she trusted more in the world.

When the doorbell rang once more, Joey jumped up from the sofa.

'Pizzas are finally here, I'm starving' she stated. 'Nope, put those away' she told her friends, who were looking through their wallets 'my treat'

She walked to the door, quickly counting a few euro notes that would have been enough to cover the bill and give the rider a decent tip.

'Evening! Keep the cha...' she stopped midway through, as her jaw dropped. There stood Sebastian. A small luggage resting by his side and he was holding two large pizza boxes in his hands. His smile was beaming from side to side and he could barely contain his amusement at Joey's shocked face.

'Hello' he said simply. 'May I come in?'

'Sebastian' she said, as if to convince herself.

'That is what people call me' he cheekily replied.

'What? When? How?' A sudden realisation came to her. 'LIAM GRIFFITHS I AM GOING TO FUCKING KILL YOU' she shouted, marching back into the house.

'What's up, babe?' Liam asked, acting surprised.