33. One last ride

The last race of the 2018 season had arrived and, with it, Joey's last race as Bernd's co-driver. The German had greeted her, on their last day together, with an "L" plate he stuck on the back of her FIA racing suit and a little one he stuck on her helmet.
'I'm gonna miss you, kid' he smiled. 'Richard is a lot less entertaining than you'
'You can always leave the big paycheck and come do the safety where I'm racing next year… I mean… you already speak German well enough' she joked. 'I'm gonna miss working with you, Bernd. Thanks for everything' she hugged him.

~•~• 

'Do I really have to do this?' Joey moaned at Becky as she followed her to the start line of the Abu Dhabi circuit.
'Yes, it's a good way of closing the circle here where it started. You're taking Ricciardo, Hamilton and Raikkonen for a proper drive'
'Do I really have to?' Joey asked again. She and Lewis hadn't really spoken since the night in Mexico and she knew it would be awkward for both of them to sit in a car for a few laps.
'Yes, you're still an employee of the FIA' becky smirked. 'Less moaning and you'll be done quicker'

Joey spotted the three drivers in their racing suits waiting for them by a Mercedes racing car.
'Sup guys?' She smiled. 'Ready?'
'Not really, no. I wish I didn't have to do it. I know you can drive, can I leave?' Kimi asked.
'Nope. If I'm suffering you're suffering, Kizza' she joked. 'Ah look, we have fans' she pointed at Seb who had just taken a seat trackside.
'Daniel, you're first' Becky ignored Joey. 
'Sure. Do I need to do anything?'
'Not really' Becky shrugged.
'Just sit and enjoy the ride, dude' Joey smirked. 

'Joey, please, stop that' Daniel laughed, as Joey hit one of the curbs a little too aggressively once more. 
'Stop what?' She smirked. 'It's fun' 
'We are going to die' he said, a little hint of panic in his voice.
'You're exaggerating. I know exactly what I'm doing'
'Joey the braking zone!' He shook in his seat, closing his eyes shut.
'Shut up!' She giggled. She loved driving at speed and she loved making people squirm on a circuit, even Formula1 drivers. She knew how bad drivers were when they were not in control.
When she stopped at the finish line, Daniel got out as quick as he could.
'Lewis you're next' she heard Becky say.

Lewis sat next to Joey, buckling up in silence. He shot a quick smile at her and she zoomed off the line. She could feel her heart beating faster and not just for the adrenaline of the ride.

'Do you remember the first time you drove me?' Lewis suddenly asked.

'Do you mean the time you broke down and I threw away a win to pick you up? I don't think I'll ever forget it. My dad stil goes on about me missing out on the prize money for, his words not mine, a little kid who'd probably get nowhere….sorry dad' she told the camera recording them. 

'He what?' Lewis laughed.'low blow, Connor' he told the camera, pointing a finger towards it in fake anger.

'And do you remember who won?' Joey asked. Lewis shook his head. 'Little mr racist… you know? The one you stopped me from punching two weeks later'
'Harry?yeah, God. Wonder what he's doing now'
'He works in the City in his dad's company. He found me on Facebook and I  had a drink with him a couple years back. He's not changed much'
The more they reminisced about old times, the more Joey could feel both she and Lewis were becoming more at ease with each other. When she stopped over the finish line, the two shared a little hug. That was the silent message for both of them to say every thing was OK.

'Kimi, next' Becky ordered.
'She's nice' he mumbled, buckling up. 
'Yeah, not at all dictator like' Joey chuckled. 'Come on, Kimi, you can just sit in complete silence'
'Good' he smiled. 'Please don't stall'
'What? You've got another dinner date?'

Joey zoomed off the start line once more. Sure, PR work was boring and repetitive but she felt like her day had been more productive than she expected. She went through the first turn quite aggressively, noticing Kimi had winced a little in his seat.
'You're gonna be alright ya know?' She joked.
'I hope so. I have a family' he joked ' Have you ever been rallying?' He asked, curiously 
'Once or twice, yeah. Back home it's quite fun'
'I am going to do it in Finland, I think you should join me. You'd love it' he interrupted himself for a second as Joey skidded her way through a corner. 'Yep, you could be doing that on snow' he chuckled.
'Scared, Kizza?' She chuckled. 'Come on, this is not the Nordschleife. That is real fun'
'I'll let you take someone else on that' he chuckled. 
When Joey parked the car back on the finish line and got out, it finally hit her. Her stint in f1 was done and dusted and her new adventure was about to begin. She soon found herself walking away from the paddock hand in hand with Seb.
'That looked fun' he said. 'You and Lewis good now?'
'Yeah, it was fun. Daniel is such a wuss' she chuckled. 'So is everyone to be fair, they all squirmed a little… even Kimi' she added. 'But yeah, Lew and I are good now. I think we just needed time apart' 
'Good. We are all gonna miss you, you know? Richard is not as funny nor as attractive as you' Seb joked.
'You're gonna see me every single day at home, silly' she reminded him. 'You'll have enough of me by the time the season starts'
'That's impossible' he smirked. 'One last ride?' He pointed at his Ferrari.

'That looks awfully uncomfortable for sex' she teased.

'JOEY!' He blushed,  touching his ears as he always did when he was uncomfortable. 'not what I meant at all'
'I love prude Sebastian Vettel'
'You know full well I am not a prude' he retorted. 'It's just… there's people…  they can hear' 
'It's ok, babe. You're just German, it's not your fault' she teased him, kissing his lips sweetly. 'I'll take those keys now' 

Joey sat in the driver's seat and turned the roaring engine on. You could say a lot of things about Ferrari but they knew how to make a road car. She connected her phone and turned the music up. She chose a song by the Pogues she found fitting and she started driving off.

'sad to say I must be on my way
So buy me beer and whiskey 'cause I'm going far away (far away)
I'd like to think of me returning when I can
To the greatest little boozer and to Sally MacLennane'

'I know we're going to Ireland soon for Kat's wedding… but are you just getting me used to it?'
'Of course, babe. You need to be prepared for full on Irish Joey. You haven't met her yet, she's a treat'

'I am sure she is. Any Joey is' he said, with a loving smile.
'Flattery will get you anywhere, Vettel' she smiled.
'That's exactly what I was hoping for' he said, suggestively.