27. Birthday treats

Joey woke up in a bed she didn't recognise. Her head was pounding and she felt sick. Why did she let herself drink so much? She knew she was getting older and it wasn't the brightest idea she ever had to mix cocktails and shots. Suddenly she remembered. She had got in a taxi with Lewis and his family and, once Nick and Anthony had gone to sleep, she and Lewis had carried on drinking and chatting remembering the old times. Lewis had also convinced her to not take the couch and, instead, sleep in his bed.

'What did you do, O'Shea?' She asked herself. She touched her body, happy to feel she still had clothes on. They weren't hers, but at least they were clothes. She slowly turned to her side, scared to be met by Lewis' face. Instead her gaze was met by Roscoe and Coco who had taken over the other half of the bed. Joey slowly lifted herself up, leaning on the headboard. The room was spinning like mad and she felt like she was about to throw up. She took a deep breath. 'An Irish girl never throws up' she repeated in her head. 

She scanned the room for signs of Lewis. She spotted the sleeping Brit on a sofa, covered in a light blanket.

Lewis must have felt observed because, at that point, he sheepishly opened an eye, slightly smiling.

'Good morning' he mumbled. 'How did you sleep?'

'I slept well, but I don't think I should ever leave the bed if I don't want to be sick' Joey replied, scratching Roscoe's ear. 'How much did I drink?'

'A fair bit' Lewis stretched up from the sofa.

'Thanks for letting me stay' 

'Anytime.' he replied. 'You need some breakfast, I'll go get you some.'

'And a coffee, please' she begged. 'I need caffeine'

'Of course' he smiled once more. He grabbed his shirt from the floor and put it on, walking out of the room.

Joey turned her attention to her phone charging on the bedside table. She found messages from her friends back in Ireland wishing her a happy birthday and one from Liam checking up on her and how she felt, asking if the holiday had helped her clear her head. Two names had caught her attention, however. Fab and Seb were the only two chats she still needed to read.

She clicked on the first:

Fab: happy birthday, Jojo. I have seen you're in LA and I think I know the reason why. I hope it's helping. Anything you need, any screaming you'd like to direct at my stupid brother, please use me instead.

I love you.

And congrats on the sponsorship, you truly deserve it.

So, the brothers have spoken. She thought. And Fab seems to agree with me. She looked over to Seb's chat, a lump forming in her throat as soon as she clicked on it.

Happy birthday, Süße. I thought hard and long about what I wanted to tell you today, to wish you a happy birthday, but I couldn't come up with anything better than this. I know you've asked for space, but I can't do this. I miss you, I miss our chats and I miss being able to hold you in my arms. I fucked up, I really did. And I want to make it right. I'll be in Austin early, please join me if you want to fix this as much as I do. Love you, Seb x

Joey took a deep breath. She would be lying if she said she didn't miss the man and she would be lying even more if she said she didn't want to fix their relationship. She typed a quick reply:

Thank you, Seb. I am definitely feeling older today. I am currently in LA (long story, I will explain in Austin) so I will get an early flight out to Texas, just let me know when you'll be there and I'll join you. I think we really need to talk it out. X