9. Canadian matchmaking

The week Joey spent back home with her grandad was a great pick me up and a great way to spend time with Kiran, who had loved having his grandkids around. The two had gone for a different walk every day and Joey had shared the different landscapes with Seb, who checked up on her at least once a day. It had become a form of habit for both of them to interact during the day, Seb would be checking up on her and Kiran, whilst also telling Joey all about his training and his time off.
In the meantime, Britta had issued a statement on behalf of Sebastian, denying any romantic involvement between the two and asking the media to respect both his and Joey's privacy in or outside the paddock.

Joey had been sitting in the Montreal Hotel lobby for a while, staring at the screen, trying to get her laptop to work. The WiFi signal in her room had been playing up and she had planned a catch up with childhood friends through a video call as she had preferred to spend the little time she had in Ireland with her grandad.

Once she managed to connect the calling app, she clicked on her friend, and former PT, Liam's name and eventually connected to the video call.

'Here she is' Katrina said. 'Look at her in the fancy hotels'

'Fancy fucken hotels with no decent WiFi' Joey huffed in reply. 'Grandad gets better signal in the countryside and I swear he's still running one of those dial-up thingies'

'You see? No amount of luxury will ever change our little Josephine' Liam chuckled.

'How's Canada?' Will asked, curiously.

'It's nice, all good here actually. I'm enjoying getting to see the world and getting paid' Joey replied.

'Don't you miss being part of the action? You're literally just sitting in a safety car' Liam raised his eyebrow.

'There's so much more to it, ya little shit' she bit back straight away. 'It's actually quite interesting to see it from the other perspective.' She started and as she carried on explaining what she was actually doing with the FIA and more about the role of the safety car, her friends started pretending to yawn, checking imaginary watches on their wrists.

Joey stopped talking, giving her friends an unimpressed look. It was only 7 pm in Canada but that meant her friends back home had all been drinking for a few hours and that could only mean they had no patience for her work stories.

'The important question is though' Kat said, almost screaming and prompting Joey to lower the volume of her headphones. 'What is this about you and Vettel?'

'Oh fucks sakes, not you too' she huffed. 'Can we not talk about this, please? I'm in the hotel lobby'

'Well, go back to your room and tell us' Will smirked. 'Or his room, we're fine either way'

'You are a bunch of penises. And I wonder why we're still friends' Joey moaned. Suddenly she noticed a couple of blonde heads and bright red shirts in the background of her camera and froze. She knew the two had been out on a sponsor event, as Kimi had moaned about it to her earlier that day. She could see they were getting closer, so she tried to hide herself and, mostly, her friends away from them.

Joey had little luck, however, because Kimi had seen her as soon as he had walked in the lobby and had decided to join the frame, uninvited.

Joey turned around to greet him with a smile, asking the usual polite questions and hoping her friends would stop screaming as they could be heard through her headphones.

'Pardon my friends, please' she said, lowering the volume from her headset. 'They are drunk'

'Lucky them. Seb didn't let me drink' Kimi snorted, giving the camera a wave.