35. The wedding pt.2

'Joey?! Long time no see!' Joey heard as she grabbed herself, and Sebastian, another Irish whiskey.

She had loved that Antti had let Seb let his hair down for a few days and she planned to make the most of it.

'Sean?!' She asked, her voice reaching a high patch she only had when she was drunk. 'Fuck me, you've changed' she nodded to his longer hair and his bushy beard.

'And you haven't at all' he remarked, with a laugh. 'Nice of Kat to invite me, to be fair. I thought it might be awkward'

'Why would it be? It's been like... 10 years? Damn time goes fast and life moves on'

'Yeah, I heard you're dating f1 royalty now, you've probably forgotten all about your roots' he said, in a judging tone.

'You really don't know me at all' she raised an eyebrow.

'But I hear you moved to Switzerland, where is the Joey that said that racing wouldn't change her? You meet one rich man and you leave everything to follow him around'

Joey felt rage boiling up inside of her. She looked around, seeing Liam and Kat dancing around together. Seb wasn't far, deep in conversation with Adam and his best man. He glanced over to her and shot her a smile, which had an instantaneous effect on her mood. She was at peace, nobody could take that away from her.

'You know what, Sean?' She said, picking up the glasses from the counter. She leaned in towards his ear.

'Wanna give things another shot?' he smiled, cheekily.

'Go fuck yourself' she whispered, before shooting him a wink and walking away with her drinks.

The man stood there, gobsmacked, unable to say another word. He watched as Joey joined Seb and gave him his drink, kissing his cheek. The German wrapped his arm around her back and smiled.

'My ex is here, by the way' Joey told him. 'The twat with the beard' she nodded towards Sean who was still at the bar.

'What has he said?' Seb asked.

'Not much, just usual backward-thinking-toxic-masculinity-Catholic-Irish bullshit'

'No, Jo, say it like it is, don't hold back' Adam laughed. 'I think I need to revoke your open bar privileges'

'DON'T YOU DARE' she waved her finger angrily towards him. 'I NEED THIS' she held her glass close to her face and kissed it.

'You really don't, doll. You know how many hours of training I'll make you do for that?' Liam interjected.

'Shut it. You're drunker than me' she retorted.

'Yeah, but I am not the one who needs to show off to Mercedes next year'

'Shut it.' she repeated. 'He's the one to show off to Mercedes next year' she nodded to Seb who had been watching the whole interaction smiling.

'Hey, don't get me involved in this! I am just here to enjoy a night off where most people don't know who I am' he shrugged. 'Actually, I am going to have another chat with Rose. She was telling me all about her farm shop. And she still thinks my name is Samuel, I quite like it.'

Joey shook her head with a smile, even after a couple of rough years with the championship being so close and yet so far, Seb could still take life lightly and, during the off season, racing was almost a forbidden topic. He was Sebastian, not Sebastian Vettel the four time world champion.

'Alright, abandoned by my own partner. Let's go get another one, then' she told Liam, grabbing his hand and walking over to the bar.

~•~•~•~•