31. Family bonds

On the flight back to the UK, Joey had upgraded her seat to be next to Seb and she had spent most of the flight asleep on the German's shoulder.

'Baby, we've arrived.' Seb gently shook her.

'5 more minutes' she yawned.

'I don't think we can ask the pilot that' he chuckled. 'Come on, Matt is waiting for us'

Joey reluctantly got out of her seat and let Seb grab her hand and guide her through to the exit.

Matt spotted them from afar, they both looked happier than they had been the time he saw them together before.

Joey jumped on her older brother, holding him tightly to her body. Now she knew she was moving for longer than a year, she wanted to make the most of the family time she could get.

'Alright, Sebastian?' Matt greeted the German, once Joey let him go.

'Oops he called you Sebastian, not Seb, he's definitely still pissed at you' Joey teased him.

'I am. My sister might have forgiven you, but I need some more time.'

'I totally agree with you, I was a complete jerk' Seb agreed. 'But I will show you how much your sister means to me'

'Well, ain't this awkward. If you need me, I'll be in a nice hole in the ground. Matty, please, let's go. I am starving and Carmen promised me some tortilla and some patata bravas'

'Alright' he huffed, getting in the car.

'Sorry about him, Mo Cuishle' Joey said. 'He's...'

'Your brother, I totally get it. You two are really close and I really hurt you. I would be angry at myself if I were him' Seb sweetly kissed her. 'I just know I need to prove myself with him and I have no intention of failing'

Arriving at Matt's home, Joey could feel the tension between her brother and Sebastian. She knew Matt only wanted to protect her, but she also felt like that might create a rift in her relationship with Seb.

They walked into the house in an awkward silence. Joey followed the corridor into the kitchen, finding Carmen at the stove, swearing to herself about the food sticking in the pan.

'Hola, guapa' she greeted her. 'Why haven't you bought some better pans yet? Your mum wouldn't like this mess'

'Callate' she laughed. 'Welcome home, Jo. How was the trip?'

'Alright, until we got here. Then it was ice City.'

'Matt's not happy with Seb, at all' Carmen agreed. 'I tried to speak some sense into him, but he told me I would have done the same if it had happened to Isabel'

'Yeah, I get it. It's just a bit awkward knowing they'd have to spend time together... I hope they can figure it out. Do you need any help with stuff?'

Back in the living room, Seb was trying to shake the feeling Matt not only hadn't forgiven him but he also did not like him at all.

The man had been distant, icy and had barely spoken to him since they had been left alone. What was probably only 10 minutes had felt like an eternity. Seb had been trying to figure out what to say that could make Matt trust him again.

'Listen.' Matt suddenly said. 'Joey is special to me. We've grown up together, just me and her, and I've seen boys treat her like shit many times and I was always there to pick up the pieces and glue her back together. Seeing her how she was after Japan made my blood boil. She's forgiven you, I get it. She loves you. But now you're whipping her away to Switzerland and if something were to happen between you two I can't be there to help her.'