13. Uh, The Shining Stars

"Jungkook? Is that you?", Namjoon asks, walking down the stairs in complete darkness. The lights just went out and he was coming out of his room to check the main board of the house when he heard the front door open.

"Hyung", Jungkook's voice resonates through the quiet of the night. That relieves Namjoon somehow. He was starting get spooked by the pitch black surroundings. "It's me. Why aren't you asleep yet? It's almost three", he says softly but loud enough for Namjoon to hear.

They can't exactly see each other but Namjoon realises that the voice sounds closer than before, meaning Jungkook is not too far away from him anymore. He slowly walks down the rest of the stairs, hoping to find Jungkook when he bumps into something.

Or someone, to be precise.

A rock hard chest greets his body and he almost lands straight to the ground if it isn't for a strong pair of arms suddenly grabbing him around his waist. Namjoon gasps, gripping Jungkook's shoulders tightly, balancing himself.

"Hyung, are you okay?", Jungkook asks, sounding worried. Namjoon can't help the whimper that slips out of his lips when Jungkook subconsciously pulls him closer, digging his hands into his waist. Namjoon is so flustered he wants the ground to swallow him whole.

But when is the universe ever on his side?

At that exact moment, the lights turn on and his cheeks turn redder at being caught blushing. Jungkook doesn't seem to find their situation anything out of the ordinary though because when Namjoon meets the younger's eyes, he only sees genuine concern swimming in them.

"Are you okay?", Jungkook repeats. Namjoon nods, suddenly hyper aware of their closeness. His face is so close to Jungkook, he can see all the details he had ignored before. Such as the mole under his lip. Namjoon has one himself. "Uh.. you can l-let me go now", he manages to stutter out.

It's as if Jungkook only then takes in the position they're in. His ears turn red and he slowly lets go of Namjoon's waist, not wanting to hurt him by panicking. "Sorry. You just-", he shakes his head, smiling. "Nevermind, hyung. Why are you still awake?", he asks.

Namjoon is about to answer when the lights go out once again. He can swear it's completely impulsive when his hands find Jungkook's shoulders once again, staying close to him. Namjoon isn't really a fan of the dark. It scares him to no end sometimes, if he's being honest.

"Are you afraid, hyung?", Jungkook asks gently, his hands once again wrap themselves around the older's waist, keeping him close. Butterflies erupt in Namjoon's stomach once again. They're warm this time, not a result of his embarassment.

He appreciates Jungkook for going out of his way to make him comfortable.

"You know what? I don't think we're going to be able to use the ACs tonight", Jungkook mumbles, drowsiness finally catching up to him. Namjoon sighs. "I can't sleep without the AC or even just a fan would be nice. I run way too hot", he says, trying hard to keep the whine out of his voice.

Jungkook is silent for a minute before he starts walking, dragging Namjoon along with him. "Hey! Where are we going?", Namjoon wonders out loud. He can't see anything so it's kind of creepy that Jungkook knows just where to go without even needing the lights to guide him.

"Ta-da!", Jungkook exclaims when they reach the room he was intending to take Namjoon to. Namjoon just stands there, confused. What's so special about this particular room? Well, there are a few windows illuminating the room and it looks a little smaller than the other rooms but apart from that-

"Oh my god", he whispers, looking upwards, his eyes reflecting full of stars, literally. "Pretty, isn't it?", Jungkook asks from behind him, proud. Pretty isn't even the word that can describe the scenery Namjoon is seeing right now.

Above his head- where there's supposed to be a concrete ceiling- there's a sky full of stars, the moon shining bright in a corner, looking even more beautiful than the last time Namjoon had seen her. How does she even do it? He doesn't know.

"Jungkook, this is- this is- I don't know what to say", he speaks out, turning to look at the younger who's smiling widely at him, bunny teeth on full display. "You don't have to. I know this is overwhelming. It's just too beautiful", he assures, just as soft-spoken as Namjoon has taken him to be in these few days they've known each other.

The moon is illuminating the stars which in turn illuminate the whole room, including Jungkook. Only then does Namjoon notice it for the very first time. He had known Jungkook is hot, has a body of god, sculpted to be the perfect heartbreaker. But at that moment, under the glow of the moonlight, Namjoon has an epiphany.

Jungkook... Jungkook is beautiful.

"You're beautiful", he whispers out. Jungkook doesn't catch it. "You said something?", he asks, tilting his head in a way Namjoon finds extremely endearing. He just shakes his head, failing to keep the smile out of his words. This is art and he's so lucky to be able experience this.

"Let me bring the mattress and the blankets so that we can both sleep in here", Jungkook says excitedly. He's halfway through the hallway when he comes back to say, "Unless you aren't comfortable with us sharing a bed?" He sounds so unsure it makes Namjoon smile.

"We're grown men, Jungkook. I think we can handle sharing a bed without being awkward about it", he teases. Jungkook flushes so hard that it's visible even in the dim lighting of the room.

"Okay, yeah, great. By the way, you don't have to worry about running hot. I have a desk fan that runs on water", Jungkook says and rushes out to get all the important things needed for their little sleepover, making the older laugh fondly.

Later that night when Jungkook has fallen asleep, Namjoon can't help but stare at the stars and then at his pretty face. Something warm and hopeful blooms in his chest, just like the end of the winter and the beginning of spring.

Is this what peace feels like?

"And this last song is for someone very special to me, someone who owns my heart. Please never lose someone who loves you with their everything. I hope you never have to wake up and realize that you lost the moon while you were busy counting the stars".

"So, we'll be alright..."

💓

God I've created a monster . This is already starting to hurt like a bitch.