15. Just give me a Smile

"So... Eunwoo, huh?", Namjoon says when they're finally inside Jungkook's room, the one he always stays in when he's on vacation with his family. Jungkook's cheeks turn the faintest of reds and it has that same feeling twisting in Namjoon's gut.

Don't get him wrong. It's not because he's suddenly in love with Jungkook or something. That's not how real life works. He's just uncomfortable about the idea of Jungkook having to act like his boyfriend when he clearly likes someone else. Whether he knows it or not, well, that's a whole different question.

"What about him?", Jungkook replies with a question of his own, trying to sound nonchalant. And despite knowing Jungkook for less than two weeks, Namjoon sees right through him.

"You like him", he says, without much thought. Jungkook blushes furiously, folding and unfolding the same sweatshirt for the hundredth time. "That obvious?", he asks, his voice sounds soft, a little nervous but still happy somehow.

Oh, so he does know.

Namjoon hums, rolling around on the bed, tucking his chin on his palm to look at Jungkook closely. "Very obvious, if you ask me. He doesn't seem to notice, though", he says, contemplating. Jungkook giggles. "He's an oblivious idiot".

So are you. Namjoon wants to say but holds his tongue. "Why didn't you ask him to be your fake boyfriend?", he asks. Jungkook visibly hesitates before sighing and answering, "Well, he's my best friend. And we're family friends so it would've been quite hard to keep up with the lie. Besides, I like him but he doesn't. It would've been a total mess if I asked him to be my fake boyfriend. A plan like this is never safe when feelings are involved", he signs wistfully.

Namjoon wants to pull his hair out. He's suddenly regretting ever agreeing to do this. This is so stupid. Jungkook and Eunwoo are clearly in love with each other. Or maybe, love is not the right word. But there's something between them that has the chance to evolve into something even more beautiful. And Namjoon would hate to be the one to ruin that chance.

"Have you ever considered telling him?", he asks quietly, sitting beside Jungkook on his bed. It feels weirdly intimate so he scoots a little to put more space between them. Jungkook nods, fidgeting in his lap. "I have. But I always back out before I can tell him because I don't want to ruin what we have. I can't lose him. Having him as my best friend is better than not having him at all".

And Namjoon understands that. He really does. He wishes he could tell Jungkook the truth. Tell him that Eunwoo likes him, too. Maybe even more than Jungkook likes him. But he can't. It's not his place. Besides, what if he's reading it all wrong? What if it's just Jungkook who has feelings for Eunwoo?

"I say you should tell him before this vacation ends. No matter what his answer is, you'll feel a lot better. Trust me", he suggests, eyes warm and gentle as he smiles at his fake boyfriend. Jungkook smiles back, weak but genuine. He scoots closer to Namjoon, hesitantly touching his arm.

"Thank you, hyung. I'm glad it's you here with me", he says honestly, big eyes staring at Namjoon with sadness yet soft admiration. Namjoon's heart clenches in his chest. He's been with Jungkook for a little more than a couple of days but, he can tell he's a good person.

Namjoon hopes he can find love, if not with Eunwoo, then with someone else.

He deserves it.

💓

"Jungkook, how does Namjoon like his steak? I know everyone's preference except for his", Jongsuk asks casually as he moves around in the kitchen. He had insisted on cooking for everyone even when Sumi had asked him to let the cook do his job.

Jungkook looks up from his phone, panicking because he doesn't know. All the trivial things they talked about somehow didn't include the way they like their steak. And Namjoon is out in the garden, planting with Eunwoo. So, it's not like he can just hit him up with a quick text.

"Uhh— he's— he's vegetarian!", he exclaims, immediately biting his tongue in regret. Oh god, he could've just said well done or something. Why did he say that? Now Namjoon will have to spend three whole weeks without any meat. Fuck him.

Jongsuk's eyes widen comically. "Oh my god. Why didn't you tell me that when I asked your sister to bring me meat? I've literally only prepared two other dishes and they're rice and kimchi. He's your boyfriend, Jungkook. This is his first time meeting the family. Don't you think he deserves something more than a plain meal?", he scolds.

Jungkook winces. He's not wrong. He doesn't know how their food choices never came up when they were discussing about their likes and dislikes. Okay, maybe he did find out that Namjoon hates mint chocolate but— Wait. Mint chocolate! How could he forget? They literally couldn't discuss further because they started arguing about mint chocolate. He's never eating that godforsaken flavor again.

Groaning, he pushes himself off the couch and joins his brother in law in the kitchen. "I'll quickly whip something up for him, hyung. It's no big deal. Don't worry. Just focus on the steaks", he smiles, having no idea what he's going to make for his supposed boyfriend. He has no idea what Namjoon might like.

Jongsuk gives him a teasing smile, eyes glinting with relief and newfound happiness. "Aren't you a sweetheart? Bet you always make him delicious meals, considering the fact that he can't cook", he laughs sweetly when Jungkook looks at him in shock. "He told me", is his only explanation.

Jungkook's ears turn red. He didn't even know that. God, they really need to discuss each other's food choices again, without being distracted by another debatable flavor.

He's taking out a container of tofu from the fridge when Jongsuk suddenly says something that catches him off guard, making him stop in his tracks.

"I'm happy for you, Kook-ah. Hope everything works out for you both. Namjoon seems like a nice man. I'm glad it's him".

"Did you like it? Did you have fun playing with our feelings?", Jongsuk demands, tone low but firm.

Jungkook stays silent.

"I was so glad it was him, Jungkook. I was so glad you chose him out of everyone you could've chosen. How could you—"

"Stop! Stop, okay? I was glad it was him, too. I was".

💓