14. I Steal Glances from Afar

"Do I have to keep anything in mind?", Namjoon asks as Jungkook parks his car in the garage. The younger sighs. "I'm not sure, hyung. I haven't really spent a lot of time with my parents growing up. I have no idea about what they might ask or say. All I can say is that they're obviously not too happy about this whole relationship thing. Oh and there'll be a few extra people today since you weren't able to meet them all at the airport", he says.

Namjoon hums. Well, that's not really helpful but he'd have to work his way around with so little information. After all, he did agree to help Jungkook out. And they have already talked about their likes and dislikes and most of the basic stuff parents are usually obsessed with. It shouldn't be that hard to impress them.

Wrong.

Turns out, it is very hard to impress Jungkook's parents who've been nothing but rigid with their words. The others have been very nice to him, though. Ji-eun and her husband, Jongsuk, especially. Eunwoo is also very polite and inclusive but that's a given since he's Jungkook's best friend and all.

Apart from them, there are three of Jungkook's little cousins and two nieces who are all very sweet and very curious to know more about their Kookie's "husband". Both of them had blushed at the title but neither of them tried to correct them. Eunwoo did look a little bothered by that but Namjoon had decided to ignore it.

So, yes. It is nice to have lunch with Jungkook's family if not for the fact that the two people he desperately needs in his favor are nothing but hostile towards him. Especially Jeon Jaehwan, Jungkook's father. Speaking of whom...

"So, Namjoon, what did you say you do for a living?", the old man asks. Namjoon chews and swallows his food completely before answering. "I'm a Kindergarten teacher, Abeo-nim", he says politely. Jaehwan raises an eyebrow before nodding.

"Don't highschool teachers make more money?", he asks unashamedly, looking at Jungkook with his peripheral vision. "Appa", the younger hisses, disbelieving. Namjoon doesn't know why he keeps his hand on Jungkook's thigh but it's too late to think about it now that he's already done it. And it does calm him down so it's good that he got the desired effect.

"They surely do. I just like to work with small kids. It's nice to see their eyes shine with curiousity everytime you teach them something new. That curiousity and commitment to learn is quite hard to find with teenagers. I prefer toddlers who are easier to handle", he smiles sweetly.

Jungkook squeezes his hand that was resting on his thigh, smiling at him. Namjoon is thankful he didn't get offended. "Well, life doesn't work that way, Namjoon. You need money to survive and I really don't want to be rude but do you think you can make enough for you and Jungkook?", it's Sumi, Jungkook's mom, who asks.

Jungkook groans. "Eomma, please", he almost begs. Namjoon just chuckles and tightens his hold on Jungkook's thigh. "Jungkook has a job of his own that brings him more than enough money to survive and I'm the one who lives with him so I don't know why it's a big deal how much I earn. But I'll answer you. The truth is, yes, I can. In fact, I earn enough for at least four adults to live comfortably so you really shouldn't be worrying about our financial security, Eommo-nim", he concludes.

"Fair enough", Ji-eun says from the side, earning a glare from Sumi and a poorly concealed snort from her husband. Namjoon puts extra effort to not laugh at Jungkook's parents' faces. They're both seething. "Alright, I think that's enough. You can talk to him later. I'm stealing them both for a walk", Eunwoo suddenly announces, getting up from his chair.

Jungkook is quick to follow him and latch onto his side, smiling widely, relieved at being saved from the horrible lunch-time conversation. The scene has an itch rolling down Namjoon's spine. He doesn't know why it's affecting him so much that Eunwoo is looking at Jungkook in a way someone surely doesn't look at their friend.

And it's even more uncomfortable being in the man's presence because Namjoon just knows Jungkook's family adores him. Even Jaehwan and Sumi, who look at their own son with disappointed eyes, don't seem to be able to say anything to Eunwoo. Namjoon shrugs. This fake boyfriend thing must be getting to him.

"Thank you for the lunch", he says, bows at them and gets up, following after the two. "Hyung, come on!", Jungkook yells, detaching himself from Eunwoo's arm in order to hold Namjoon's hand and pull him somewhere with them. Eunwoo doesn't hesitate taking his other hand.

They're all giggling and laughing until Namjoon realizes where they are. "Holy shit!", he exclaims. "I know, right!", Jungkook says happily. They are currently standing in the middle of a land full of lush green grass, trees everywhere. Namjoon had no idea the Jeons' farmhouse held such a beautiful surprise. Then again, they're rich rich. Namjoon should've expected something flashy like this.

As much as he's sure that this was made just for the purpose of showing off, he has to admit that the back yard is beautiful, a nature-lover's dream. Said nature-lover being no one other than Kim Namjoon. The little flowers growing on the ground just make the whole thing more colorful and bright.

"This is so pretty, Jungkook", he whispers, leaning down to pluck a wild-flower. "Yes, it is! I-", before Jungkook can finish his sentence, Eunwoo cuts him off. "This is Jungkookie's favorite place to come to when he's sad. If it was upto him, he'd never enter the farmhouse and just visit here every once in a while", he says with a smile.

Namjoon watches with that same itch against his spine as Eunwoo gently places a tiara on Jungkook's head, grinning at him. Jungkook grins back at him, just as brightly, if not brighter. He looks at Eunwoo with stars in his eyes.

Out of the corner of his eyes, Namjoon sees Eunwoo give him a weird look. One that Namjoon can't decipher the meaning of. Well, one thing is for sure. Eunwoo and Jungkook's relationship...

Namjoon isn't sure he finds it interesting anymore.

💓

Namjoon isn't jealous. I feel like I need to make this clear lol. He's just a little envious of the two's relationship. He hasn't caught any romantic feelings for Jungkook. Yet.